Leg3nd Elite v MBS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AGNZ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Currently I use an XTX50/40 but my brother is looking at the new Aqualung Leg3nd. He was asking me about the MBS versus the Elite and I couldn’t really help him other than say the MBS sounded more simple to operate.

can anyone enlighten me on why someone would practically benefit from choosing the elite system over the MBS and is the extra control actually beneficial outside extreme situations? Does the MBS system work as described or is it more a marketing thing?

Hey Bro I'm in Aussieland, sorry about that, and a regulator is a regulator

full.jpg

how much does he want to pay for this if he wants to pay for this

Mint!

Cheers

Thanks, but not really interested in buying secondhand regulators right now. Just after some advice for the questions I posted to pass into my bro.

It's marketing garbage for the unsophisticated diver. It combines two separate functions: Venturi assist and cracking effort, into a single knob for divers that don't know the difference. It's now "Easy" and "Hard".
But those two adjustments are completely different. If I were doing surf entries, I might crank in the cracking effort AND the Venturi to prevent inadvertent freeflow until I get out of the waves. But my cracking effort stays as low as possible all the time during the dive (others have different opinions), and only gets adjusted in when I perhaps develop a tiny freeflow at the end of a service interval, due to seat impression. Increasing spring tension might save a dive for me there. Otherwise, I want my breathing as smooth as possible.
My Venturi is never off DIVE in single tank, tho' I sometimes use it in Pre-Dive in sidemount doubles, since I'm switching regs back and forth and have to worry less about mouthpiece position when I remove one and insert the other.
Otherwise, the only function for the Venturi adjustment is in deep diving when increased air density might make your lightly tuned reg too twitchy due to increased Venturi forces. Adjusting it slightly towards predive might smooth out air flow.
It used to be that Venturi was adjusted by the shop tech to give "just short of freeflow" with a brisk tap on the purge button. But now, computer aided design has made second stage performance more predictable, and the Venturi predive switch is just used to prevent freeflow in the boat or during a giant stride entry, after which it should be placed in the Dive position.

No, the MBS is IMO just stupid. But predictable.

For the diver who understands his equipment, the functions should be kept separate. Before, if you left your reg on Predive with only the Venturi adjusted, you'd avoid freeflow and could hardly feel any difference when you hit the water. Now, with the MBS cranked in to prevent freeflow, your reg breathes very stiffly until you unscrew it. Dumb.

But kudos to you for asking a good question!

The Elite second stage is more like your XTX50. As stated above by rsingler, the MBS venturi and inhalation knob are "combined". Where as the two are separate with the Elite, just like your 50. There are three versions of the second stage in Aqualung's release of the Leg3nd: one with no adjustment knob (for inhalation effort), one with the venturi and adjustment knob (the Elite), and the MBS which combines the two into one knob. Personally, I prefer the two to be separate.

Have your friend watch Alec Pierce's videos on venturi, another on second stage adjustment, and another on regulator free flow that will give helpful information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom