Leftovers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaYoda

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here are some shots that didn't make first cut from my last dive at Vortex Spring. I was bored so I looked at my old pics and played with them a little. After some trimming and clean-up, I thought they were OK to share.

26242koi1-med.jpg

26242koi2-med.jpg

26242canihelpu.jpg

alcina:
I like seeing your fresh water guys!

That third one I'd have a play with cropping him down - you captured a great expression/pose!
Those Koi are not native but add some life to the dive.

I cropped the left side of that last one to get rid of negative space. I wanted to tone him down by leaving more fish to look at and placing him off center. I don't like his chin being so prominent. I would not put this one up as a great shot but I'm happy with the way it captures the moment.

It's cool to see the Koi from U/W. All I see of mine are from the top! I agree with alcina, I think I'd crop that thrid one really tight.

He looks like a choir director.....1 and a 2 and a 3....Fa La La, La La, La La.

Here's a close up - 1st was grainy so I used a noise filter and posted below. I still think his chin is too much - to each his own I guess :D.

26242closeup-med.jpg

26242closeup_filtered-med.jpg

Yoda - I like both versions but to me the cropped version has more OOmph. He looks pretty belligerent; almost like "this is MY territory, buddy!" or "these are MY fish" :wink: And you can see his little teethies!

I've added another tool to my after dive belt and have found it extremely helpful. Don't know if you do this or not yet - I just really started a little while ago - but I do crops, rotates, shadows etc on images that have some potential to help me visualise what I want for the next dive/opportunity. It has really helped me spend my time more effectively underwater - my coral trout was a prime example and was a single shot!

I've found the comments posted here etc to be really helpful as sometimes others will see something that I hadn't thought of or pursued.

Love to see you shots...are you diving over the weekend?

alcina:
Yoda - I like both versions but to me the cropped version has more OOmph. He looks pretty belligerent; almost like "this is MY territory, buddy!" or "these are MY fish" :wink: And you can see his little teethies!

I've added another tool to my after dive belt and have found it extremely helpful. Don't know if you do this or not yet - I just really started a little while ago - but I do crops, rotates, shadows etc on images that have some potential to help me visualise what I want for the next dive/opportunity. It has really helped me spend my time more effectively underwater - my coral trout was a prime example and was a single shot!

I've found the comments posted here etc to be really helpful as sometimes others will see something that I hadn't thought of or pursued.

Love to see you shots...are you diving over the weekend?
I play in PS a little if I think the shot has potential. I crop a lot and play with colors, curves, and unsharp mask. Most of the time I'm playing with the camera in the water in different conditions to see what it will do, I'm still a rookie in manual mode. If you don't see my pics here they probably turned out pretty bad :D. I don't play with the bad ones, I just analyze the conditions and look at what I did - end of experiment. I usually get a couple per dive that I really like - few folks like them the way I do. I'm probably too much of a rebel to fit the tastes of many - I'll never make a living selling my pics :D. I don't like always using the rule of thirds or aspect ratios. I like a lot of realism to my pics. I don't like the "aquarium" look. I don't like a lot of after dive "creativity" but I'm all for using the powers of programs to enhance the digital shortcomings. I'm mostly a diver trying to take pictures to hold on to my favorite place just a little longer. If I can take you with me and get a little "artsy" in the process, I'm a happy camper. I look at a lot of other peoples pictures and they influence me a great deal. I think it's fun to see people post pics and ask what people like and dislike about them. Invariably people like and dislike the same things about the pictures - beauty is in the eye of the beholder for sure!

Who asked for all that Jibberish?

I'm working this weekend but SuPrBuGmAn, I, and others are trying to get a dive together for the 28th. We'll hit some spring in the area - might even be a new one! You're welcome to join us or you can just wait for the pictures :D.

I'm with you...I'm having great fun seeing what will happen if I try this or that! Some stuff doesn't work at all, let me be the first to say! :11:

Wish I could, but, alas, I will have to dive the Ningaloo over the holiday break instead :crafty: Might even have to start tomorrow :eyebrow:

I'll be waiting to see the photos, though!!

Cool pics as always :)

I read the other day that the coi they release into alot of the FL springs(I'm assuming Vortex is included) are genetically altered so they can't reproduce - I guess they HAVE to keep releasing more into the ecosystem. They are there to eat up the plantlife - especially the non-native junk :D

Back
Top Bottom