Left-Side Regulator For GUE Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travis S.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

Thanks to the advice on ScubaBoard I am signing up for Fundamentals and gearing up now. One of things I will need is a second regulator.

I already have a B2 first and second stage. For the required second reg, I was thinking about a M1, but note that it does not have any ability to switch to a left-side reg.

Being a newbie, what are the primary times that having a left-side reg. would be an advantage? Is it primarily limited to side-mount?

Rather than getting a second right-side only reg., would it be wiser to get a left-side capable now since I have to buy a new second anyway? If so, what are y'alls favorites and why? Thanks in advance.

T

lefty regulators are curious and something that I have gone back and forth about for a long time. I have settled on sort of using them... I use a non-direction regulator, and it is "reversed" on the right side in sidemount, but goes back to "normal" when it is donated. No particular advantage to going out of your way to do it that way, but I do.
If you subscribe to "left lean, right rich" and put your deco bottle on the right, then a lefty regulator may also be advantageous. GUE does not subscribe to that though and if you are going the GUE route, there is no advantage to having a regulator that swaps. Certainly counterproductive during service time if you mix brands

Hi Travis,

It sounds like you are taking Fundamentals with a rec pass in mind, in a single tank configuration. First off, you should be directing all questions specific to your gear configuration and training to your instructor. Now that I got that out of the way, if you are talking about your backup second stage, it is usually advised to have the same as your primary, as that will become your breathing reg when you donate your primary. Both your primary and backup seconds stage regulators will have low pressure hose connections on the right side.

I hope this helps.

For backmount doubles you will need two right feed second stages.

Most people I know also dive sidemount with two right feed regs. ..the left side hose goes behind your neck and keeps both regs feeding from the right.

There are some divers who use a left feed for the left tank. Dive Rite XT regs are one example of a switchable second stage.

I happen to like ambidextrous regs, like Poseidon’s for stage/deco regs because they can be used from either side.

..but all this flies in the face of DIR/GUE. Where they pretty much have one “right” way to manage things. Others will surely chime in, but I am pretty sure your lefty second stages are verboten for a DIR/GUE set up.

Thanks, all. Scubatude, to clarify - going for Fundamental single tank pass now, then doubles with tech endorsement.

So, conclusion is, stick with Atomics until a need presents itself for a left-side reg. Thanks again!

Thanks, all. Scubatude, to clarify - going for Fundamental single tank pass now, then doubles with tech endorsement.

So, conclusion is, stick with Atomics until a need presents itself for a left-side reg. Thanks again!
You won’t need a left side feeding regulator within GUE.

Back
Top Bottom