left/right valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Another thread prompted me to ask this question in the SM section. Just a quick yes or no. Do you dive sidemount with left/right valves or just two righties? and... What would you do on vacation if you need a lefty valve.
Thanks,
Dale.

I recently switched some valves around so I had a left and a right. That was good because both of my spgs now angle slightly upwards.

Previously was using 2 regular valves. Just turn one of the tanks over.One valve pointing up,the other down. Not as pretty but it works.

My steels are right/left. My ALs are right because that's what I get in Mexico. Both work fine. My regs are configured the same either way. I just point one valve knob in when I use the ALs.

With my regs (MK2s) it doesn't make much difference - I have the knobs pointing out in both cases. My own tanks are 2 rights, so I don't need a lefty valve, but I can use one just fine.

It depends on your regulators hose routing more than anything else I guess. I wouldn't switch the knobs around to accommodate: my current bungee configuration only really works if the knobs are pointing out...I also think it helps develop muscle memory for manipulating the valves if you keep them in the same orientation.

I used to keep knobs pointed out even with 2 rights, but now it's all about protecting my 1st stages. Keeping them in toward my body keeps them from scraping or dragging the bottom in really tight passage. The valve is much more durable than any 1st stage.

I have numerous pairs of tanks set up just for sidemount, all of which have left and right valves and all but 2 pairs are aluminum 80's. I prefer al80's for sidemounting even up here in minnesota where it means carrying more weight.

I dont put any weight on the bottles, only on me.

I can use any valves though without changing anything around, having left valves just makes things a little more comfortable.

I use right and left valves. If I am some place where only right valves are available then I just make do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom