Left behind, no boat in sight and only their Lifelines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nautilus Lifeline

Registered
Reaction score
Tossed between waves and pulled in currents for three miles in just ninety minutes, a story has just emerged about four divers who were lost and rescued off the coast of Grenada after surfacing to a sudden tropical squall in late June.

Nick King and his group started a ‘warm and clear’ dive of the Hemer 1, a popular ship wreck five miles off the South coast of Grenada, only to surface in extremely rough seas with no vessel in sight. The storm “reduced [their] visibility to feet,” King vividly recalls of the terrifying experience only a month ago.

The wind and rain in Grenadian tropical squalls can reach speeds faster than 73mph (117km/h) and create swells several meters high: weather which causes even larger vessels to find mooring. “The dive boat had lost… us,” King writes, “lots of boats had made for shelter due to the conditions.”

Experienced divers, King and his dive buddies had come prepared and quickly took measures to alert any boats in the area of their situation. Equipped with depth-rated VHF radios with built-in GPS, the drifting divers sent out digitized distress calls to every vessel in the area which sparked an immediate rescue search. They were soon found by another dive boat that had heard the call at the coast and quickly jumped into action. King wrote a letter of thanks to the developer of the technology, Nautilus Lifeline, saying that the boats were “guided to [them] by the GPS numbers transmitted by the [device].”

“It’s exhilarating to know that our invention saved these guys from drifting out to sea and being lost forever,” says Captain Mike Lever, inventor and developer of the Nautilus Lifeline VHF Radio/GPS.

King is back to SCUBA diving and continues to equip himself and his team for any situation.

Just purchased my Lifeline! It's nice to hear a good lost at sea story. Makes me feel better just knowing I have it in my pocket. Thanks Mike!

Lifeline sure safed that situation and most likely the lifes of those divers. We where very concerned when we received the mayday call. This was not a good day to be out there, bad weather was forecasted. Our divers have been down on the leeward side. It took a while to get everybody up, but luckily another dive boat could respond immediatly and was able to locate them thanks to the Lifeline radio. Otherwise chances would have been small at best. Winds 45 kts, 10 ft seas, strong current and heavy rain. The "Hema 1" wreck is first class diving, but only in good weather. It's 3 miles offshore into the Atlantic and has usually strong tidal curents. I don't go anywhere without my lifeline and a big DSMB. Safe diving

Back
Top Bottom