LED700 Head Temp Normal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ArcticDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Received my LED700 upgrade today. I have a couple questions that others may have also:

>From the DiveRite web site and posts on SB the light can be used either on the surface or underwater. When I turned mine on the body of the light got uncomfortably hot after about 20 minutes or so. It wasn't so hot I couldn't hold it. But, it was definitely uncomfortable. I put the light head in a sink of water where it is comfortably sitting right now. Normal?

>What is that plastic clip that came with the light head? The upgrade doesn't include the other stuff that comes with a new light?

It may be because we are so far north; but the light beam can be seen on a wall lit by the afternoon sun. I'm really looking forward to getting this thing in the water.

There were no instructions, nor a manual in the LED700 box when I received it. From what I've been told it is the LED500 that is specifically advertised as used above and below water. Given communication vagaries what are the facts?

Let's say it another way: When I bought my HID10W I was assured by the DiveRite rep it would work just fine either underwater or on the surface here, but probably not in the tropics or the desert heat. I did in fact use it for both. It worked just fine. Can I use my LED700 on the surface in the same way I used the old HID light?

Still wondering about that plastic thingy.

Hi Arctic Diver,

All good questions and mostly unique to the fact you got an upgrade vs. a new light. Let me try to clarify...

Due to higher levels of output, the LED 700 is not designed to burn out of the water. I have added a note to that effect on our website just now. However, I don't see anywhere on our website that claims the LED 700 can burn out of water. If you have read it somewhere, please send the link because that is incorrect. The LED 500 can indeed burn out of water due to lower amperage rates.

The LED 700 manual is available on our web. Look under downloads here: SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - LED 700 Canister Light

The plastic thingy...well without seeing a picture what I imagine you are referring to is the tab where a stainless ring attaches so that you can add a clip. If you zoom in on the pic from our site, you will see the tab and the stainless ring. On upgrades we do not add anything to the light that was not on it previously. So if you light arrived without the ring, we did not add one back on. Most customers will strip their lights before returning to us (remove goodman handles, rings, bungee, and other types of customization), in fact we recommend it. Anyway, we always return an upgrade in the same fashion as we received it. It is our way of respecting your gear and how you choose to dive it.

As for a 10W HID, these should never burn out of the water. HID throws off dangerous levels of UV rays that can blind a person out of the water. Never, ever burn an HID out of the water and if someone does...do not look at the light. It can seriously damage your retinas.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions and let us know what you think of your new LED 700 once you get it in the water.

Kathleen

One thing I REALLY appreciate about your company is the prompt response to questions.

I just went to your web site. Yes, I do see the added note. I don't see the phrase that I thought I saw before. But, the info may have come from a dealer site that I visited.

If I understand your post the issue is overtemperature damage to the light, not creating a potential hazard to anyone else?

On the surface vs. underwater issue for HID lights: Back when I was trying to decide whether or not to buy one, one of your reps sent me an email telling me it was just fine to use the 10W on the surface since it had been routinely done before. At our temps the light wouldn't overheat. Up here the only time I would need the light on the surface is in the winter when temperatures typically range from +20F to -40F with temporary excursions colder and a bit warmer (Don't need flashlifights in the summer).

That entire conversation focused on light survival, not potential damage to other people's eyes. Even now since there are so many HID lights used for cycling, driving, hiking, etc I wonder how theoretical the damage potential is? Is there something different about your lights?

Oh yes, the Thingy.

No it is not the tab connecting the ring to the light head. It looks like some kind of clip with gripping semi-circular tabs on one end, a hole about 2/3 down from them and has a rounded end opposite the tabs. It looks like it is designed to be snapped around something an inch, or so in diameter, to maybe be a clip or something.

I don't see it on your web site picture of the LED700

Yes, I am anxious to get it in the water. That's coming.

You can't figure out what the Thingy is either? Sorry I can't post a picture. But, if it will help I'll get you some precise measurements. Maybe it has no function and someone just threw it in the box?

Well, the thingy is still a mystery. The only thingy we can come up with is that you were given a saddle for a handmount by mistake. Without a pic, I just cannot say for sure, but it doesn't sound like anything that is necessary for the light.

Regarding the warming of the LED700 when burned out of the water, yes the issue is with heating of the light, not danger to anyone else. We have burned it out of water during testing and it will do it, but it gets uncomfortably hot. So avoid potential damage to your hands and the light and just burn it in the water.

As for the HID, technically you can burn it out of the water. The light will not be damaged. But someone's eyes can be. HIDs designed for out of water use (in the bicycle industry for example) have a protective lens that shields the UV output. Sorta like putting sunglasses on the light. HIDs used in water do not have that lens because the water acts like a natural filter. So to maximize the output, dive mfrs do not add that lens. It would be like putting sunglasses on top of sunglasses, which is redundant.

I hope this helps.
Kathleen

Well, the thingy is still a mystery. The only thingy we can come up with is that you were given a saddle for a handmount by mistake. Without a pic, I just cannot say for sure, but it doesn't sound like anything that is necessary for the light.

Regarding the warming of the LED700 when burned out of the water, yes the issue is with heating of the light, not danger to anyone else. We have burned it out of water during testing and it will do it, but it gets uncomfortably hot. So avoid potential damage to your hands and the light and just burn it in the water.

As for the HID, technically you can burn it out of the water. The light will not be damaged. But someone's eyes can be. HIDs designed for out of water use (in the bicycle industry for example) have a protective lens that shields the UV output. Sorta like putting sunglasses on the light. HIDs used in water do not have that lens because the water acts like a natural filter. So to maximize the output, dive mfrs do not add that lens. It would be like putting sunglasses on top of sunglasses, which is redundant.

I hope this helps.
Kathleen

Yes it does help. Thank you.

To the Thingy. I don't think of it because I don't use it, but my phone has a camera. So, if you will PM me an email address I'll just take a picture of it and email it to you. At least I will if I can make all the buttons work.

Now I won't worry about burning the LED700 out of water then because the only time, up here any way, that would be done is in the winter and I'd be wearing gloves. Then all temps would be below freezing and often considerably below 0F.

Thanks for the clarification on the HID. Don't own one right now. But may again.

Back
Top Bottom