LED LCD vs OLED screen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Can someone tell me why the Perdix uses an LED LCD screen and not an OLED screen? I understand that the Predator had an OLED screen and it looks much brighter. Is it cost? Stability? Durability? Battery life? Just wanting to understand, that's all.

Hi Dogbowl,

There are two types of OLED displays. Active Mative (AMOLED) and Passive Matrix (PMOLED). AMOLED are the superior product in terms of lower power consumption and higher resolution. AMOLED also does not suffer from the refresh issue that can make PMOLED displays appear to flicker or strobe when moved.

Unfortunately, there are very few panel manufacturers making AMOLED displays. Those that are making AMOLED are focused on the large volume consumer market products like smartphones. These suppliers simply don't care about low volume products like dive computers. Even if we could get supply for a suitable AMOLED display, it would not be a stable supply on which to base a product or business. Five or six years ago there was a AMOLED manufacturer selling to low volume markets, and several dive computer manufacturers used the same display (Shearwater Predator, OSTC Mark II, Uemis PDA, Atomic Cobalt). When this AMOLED company stopped making OLEDs, all these manufacturers changed to LED LCDs. After a gap of a few years, some low-volume suppliers are introducing AMOLEDs again, but supply stability and suitable form factors for dive computers remain an issue.

PMOLED displays are a simpler technology and are easier to find in form factors suitable for dive computers, and the suppliers are selling to low volume users. Several dive computers are using PMOLED displays. We do not feel that the PMOLED displays offer a good balance of power consumption, resolution, sunlight readability, and screen size. We feel that the current LED LCDs available are a better product.

Shearwater currently uses high quality LED backlit LCD displays. The displays we use have an excellent balance of very low power consumption, good sunlight readability, wide viewing angle, and high contrast. There is a slight trade-off in that color saturation (i.e. vividness) is not as high as some LCDs or OLEDs, but the low power consumption and sunlight readability are more important for diving. Brightness is not really an issue. We can make the LCD go much brighter, but limit the brightness to keep power consumption under control. In bright sunlight, for the same power consumption, our current LCDs outperform the AMOLED we used in the Predator.

In short, both AMOLEDs and high quality LED LCDs are a good choice for dive computers. While some users prefer the Predator AMOLED's deep blacks and vivid colors, our current LCDs have benefits too such as lower power consumption and they offer very similar image performance under most viewing conditions.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Engineering Manager
Shearwater Research

Tyler,

Thank you very much for your very detailed reply. My husband and I each have a Perdix and really like it, but I've often wondered why it was not more vivid like OLED screens that are so common today in so many applications. I was sure there were valid reasons and your response satisfied my curiosity.

I am particularly interested in this aspect because many people above 40 start to have a difficult time reading things close up and under dim light, which would be the case at depth in open water or in caves. I'm neither a tech diver nor a cave diver, but I chose this computer because I needed the big easy-to-read screen. Of course, it comes highly recommended here on this forum too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom