Leaving burst disc on valve during ultrasonic cleaning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone,

Seeking some help with this topic. Starting to perform maintenance on my cylinder valves. The question is, would there be a problem if I leave the burst disc on the valve during ultrasonic cleaning? The reason I would like to do it is because this is the first time I perform maintenance on the valves (it's been a year since they were purchased), and I am hesitant to remove the safety assembly and mess up the torque values to which they were put from the manufacturer.

Thank you very much!

If the valve is only a year old, the burst disc is likely in good condition so I'd leave it in.
Yes, if disassembled you need a new disc and washer ideally torqued to correct specs... usually 100 inch/lbs

For an older valve with unknown history I'd strip the valve completely and US clean, installing a new burst disc and washer.
I got quite a surprise when I did that!
Check that burst disk...

Were they purchased new or used? If new, have they seen enough abuse that they require service? At least for Thermo and Sherwood, the overhaul is at 5 years not 1 year. At which point the burst disk should be replaced. Either way, I would NOT leave anything partially assembled in the cleaner. If the valve uses a copper crush gasket, always replace it if disassembled.

Were they purchased new or used? If new, have they seen enough abuse that they require service? At least for Thermo and Sherwood, the overhaul is at 5 years not 1 year. At which point the burst disk should be replaced. Either way, I would NOT leave anything partially assembled in the cleaner. If the valve uses a copper crush gasket, always replace it if disassembled.

Thank you very much for your answers, Fibonacci/JackD342.

They were purchased new and have not been abused, just regular use in saltwater. Valves are Thermo Pro. I was using the yearly service interval as it was suggested in the service manual https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...0202c9/1530226932221/Thermo-Valves-Manual.pdf

But I'm all ears to further details on why you say 5. The valve does have a copper crush gasket, I'd love to learn more about the importance of this piece and why it must be replaced if removed. Also, do you have any details on why a hard no on a partially assembled valved in the US Cleaner?

Thank you very much for your answers, Fibonacci/JackD342.

They were purchased new and have not been abused, just regular use in saltwater. Valves are Thermo Pro. I was using the yearly service interval as it was suggested in the service manual https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...0202c9/1530226932221/Thermo-Valves-Manual.pdf

But I'm all ears to further details on why you say 5. The valve does have a copper crush gasket, I'd love to learn more about the importance of this piece and why it must be replaced if removed. Also, do you have any details on why a hard no on a partially assembled valved in the US Cleaner?
Read page 5, where it tells you to evaluate annually, and only service if one of the 8 listed trouble signs are observed.
The copper crush gasket has already been crushed once. Likely to leak if used again. I can only speculate on what would happen if you left the burst disk in during the ultrasonic cleaning, but I have never heard any scuba gear that even suggests the possibility of cleaning without disassembly. Could freeze the parts together, could weaken/corrode the disk itself, could deteriorate the soft part of the disk assembly. MFGR doesn't say not to, because they don't imagine a need to say it.

Read page 5, where it tells you to evaluate annually, and only service if one of the 8 listed trouble signs are observed.
The copper crush gasket has already been crushed once. Likely to leak if used again. I can only speculate on what would happen if you left the burst disk in during the ultrasonic cleaning, but I have never heard any scuba gear that even suggests the possibility of cleaning without disassembly. Could freeze the parts together, could weaken/corrode the disk itself, could deteriorate the soft part of the disk assembly. MFGR doesn't say not to, because they don't imagine a need to say it.
Thank you very much for pointing this out, I see I misread that guideline in the manual! The good news is, I guess I wont need to service that many valves, the bad news is that I already purchased a bunch of service kits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom