Learning to work on regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TooManyHobbies

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a mechanical background (guns and F-16s mostly) and I'm pretty good at following directions. I would like to work on my own regs. However, I don't want to put myself at any risk doing it without guidance or on my primary regs.
I know there are a couple books and countless youtube videos to learn on. I also know there is a tool investment.
Would it be smart to get some old, cheap regs off ebay to open up, learn on, and practice rebuilding? I would attach them to a pony bottle for testing in the water and have my mains with me for safety's sake.

I won't ask for all the other info here because I know there are many many threads dedicated to learning how to work on regs.

Thanks!

I would go for regulators that are similar to the "good" ones that you have. In the Scubapro lineup of first stages, the Mk5, Mk10, Mk20, and Mk25 (maybe the Mk15 and Mk18 too?) are all pretty similar. Many of the diaphragm first stages are similar to each other. If possible, get a used one identical to what you have off of ebay. For second stages you can do the same thing. What setup do you already have?

p.s. the DIY forum might be a better place to put these kind of questions.

I would go for regulators that are similar to the "good" ones that you have. In the Scubapro lineup of first stages, the Mk5, Mk10, Mk20, and Mk25 (maybe the Mk15 and Mk18 too?) are all pretty similar. Many of the diaphragm first stages are similar to each other. If possible, get a used one identical to what you have off of ebay. For second stages you can do the same thing. What setup do you already have?

p.s. the DIY forum might be a better place to put these kind of questions.

I have an Atomic Z2 first and second with a Deep 6 backup. Also just got some used Hollis regs, DC1 and pair of 212s. There are many many very old looking Dacor and Aqualung regs that might not have much in common with mine, but there are also some more "modern" Tusas I was looking at. I could do some research to see if they are similar to what I've got.

Also, the idea of fixing something up and making it work seems cool to me as long as it can be done reliably and safely.

Mods, can you move this to DYI?

They are fairly simple machines. Don't let the "they are life support equipment, be very afraid of them, only let the professionals touch them" bunch scare you. While there are some excellent techs out there, there are also a good number of part swapper "techs" as well....and a few down right scary techs too. If you can work on small engine (or auto) carbs, regs are simple. There is no reason not to service your own regs.
Besides getting the books, getting a similar reg to what you have to practice on is a good idea. If you dive a diaphragm reg, get an older diaphragm reg, if you dive a piston reg, get one of those. Tell us what reg you have and we can help you get something similar. You might also want to take this to the DIY forum, we have a really good group of techs who can help you along.

Go to frogkick.dk and you will find lots of manuals. Just open yer reg up and have fun.

My only suggestion is to settle a single reg brand and get the tools for that brand. Makes life easier.

They are fairly simple machines. Don't let the "they are life support equipment, be very afraid of them, only let the professionals touch them" bunch scare you. While there are some excellent techs out there, there are also a good number of part swapper "techs" as well....and a few down right scary techs too. If you can work on small engine (or auto) carbs, regs are simple. There is no reason not to service your own regs.
Besides getting the books, getting a similar reg to what you have to practice on is a good idea. If you dive a diaphragm reg, get an older diaphragm reg, if you dive a piston reg, get one of those. Tell us what reg you have and we can help you get something similar. You might also want to take this to the DIY forum, we have a really good group of techs who can help you along.

I have an Atomic Z2 piston and a Hollis DC1 diaphragm.
I'm not afraid to work on them, I just understand that it's something that should be done well. I have seen lots of "professionals" in many fields who are over-confident and put people in danger. I'm not interested in being one of those people.

Thank you for the advice. I have lots of reading to do.

Deep 6 offers reg classes. If I were going to service my own regs, I would take one of their courses. Everyone's style of learning is different I suppose, but I would personally feel better about having someone walk me through the process and be available to answer any questions I might have.

Deep 6 offers reg classes. If I were going to service my own regs, I would take one of their courses. Everyone's style of learning is different I suppose, but I would personally feel better about having someone walk me through the process and be available to answer any questions I might have.

Sounds like I need to take a trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom