Learning to Make Videos - Paralenz Camera - Christ of the Abyss

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IncreaseMyT

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Took the kids out for some free diving in Key Largo, getting them ready for their scuba cert next month. Making the videos is a work in progress but wanted to share:

(Make sure you click settings and choose 1080 p)

Thanks for reading

I just ordered a Paralenz and will begin playing around here and there w/cutting some videos. What software are you using to cut your videos.

Ok awesome you will like the camera, took me a minute to get used to the settings that I wanted. For instance blue water or green water, DCC or not. I also have had trouble not recording when I thought was recording. For instance I set the auto record and for some reason it didn't turn on, so now I always manually start recording.

My son actually does the videos and he uses Sony Vegas 15. That one costs money he also uses a program called Shotcut that is free.

Here is the second one he made:

Nice video! I've been after a GoPro for years after having gotten rid of my GoPro Hero 2 a while back. I may reconsider and pick up the Paralenz instead.

@IncreaseMyT - Nice video. My daughter (and I for that matter) would love to see some sharks. I saw in the video it said there were a lot of sharks on that dive. We dive over there every now and then hunting Meg Teeth. Other than that, we're usually drift diving off of West Palm Beach. We're going to be in Grand Cayman in a week and a half, so hopefully we'll get some great shots and videos w/the new Paralenz once it gets here (next couple days for delivery, just in time!).

I suspect unless you're in fresh water, you're using the Blue Water setting, yes? And probably always having the DCC on unless you are just snorkeling staying in very shallow water?

@IncreaseMyT - Nice video. My daughter (and I for that matter) would love to see some sharks. We dive over there every now and then hunting Meg Teeth. Other than that, we're usually drift diving off of West Palm Beach.

I suspect unless you're in fresh water, you're using the Blue Water setting, yes? And probably always having the DCC on unless you are just snorkeling staying in very shallow water?

This time of year sharks are super active, over here on any wreck 35 + miles out they will be all over it.

Well I think the green water is useful too over here closer to shore. Also the DCC always on yes but there are also different settings within that you can choose like if you want auto or you want to add a certain amount. I had it on but when I dived the St George in the Dominican Republic and since vis was top to bottom it would add too much light in some places. So getting that just right can be tricky.

I def love the camera, just a learning process for me on the first handful of times I have used it.

That day's footage is great but its missing my last dive, had some bull sharks charging us and one even stole my buddies gun after he shot an African Pompano. Not as scary as it sounds as the sharks just wanted our catch, but for some reason the camera stopped recording. I think it was because I put it on auto record and then turned it on record manually, so when I jumped in it actually turned it off. Super bummed I didnt get that video, best piece of footage I would have taken so far.

I don't know what it is about African Pompano and Permit, but Goliath and Sharks go bananas over them. Like super frenzy, it was crazy and so mad I missed the footage.

Oh well, next time.

This time of year sharks are super active, over here on any wreck 35 + miles out they will be all over it.
I guess we'll have to do some more dives out that way and get out on some wrecks?! Any recommendations (sites and dive boats) for something on yours side over there?

Well I think the green water is useful too over here closer to shore. Also the DCC always on yes but there are also different settings within that you can choose like if you want auto or you want to add a certain amount. I had it on but when I dived the St George in the Dominican Republic and since vis was top to bottom it would add too much light in some places. So getting that just right can be tricky.
So would you recommend the green water setting since it's more murky in the shallower water over there for doing Meg Tooth dives (20-30')? I guess on the DR dives you did, you basically had some trial and error after your dive to try and figure out the right setting? I suspect Grand Cayman's visibility may be similar... what settings did you use in the DR that seemed to be good when the vis was great top to bottom?

That day's footage is great but its missing my last dive, had some bull sharks charging us and one even stole my buddies gun after he shot an African Pompano. Not as scary as it sounds as the sharks just wanted our catch, but for some reason the camera stopped recording. I think it was because I put it on auto record and then turned it on record manually, so when I jumped in it actually turned it off. Super bummed I didnt get that video, best piece of footage I would have taken so far.
That is a bummer. I was thinking of manually recording anyway. Do you use the mask mount most of the time?

Yea if you want to go out around here I have 2 guys I could put you in contact with.

The one guy you could probably book privately and he would take guys diving, if you do it and I am free I will jump on and go with you guys.

Joel Sabin with Salty Dog Charters

^^^^ He is the guy at the end of my video holding the red grouper, he has a 27 foot wildcat and he takes out groups. He knows all the spots so just tell him what you want to do and he will take you there.

Bill D with Offshore Naples Fish & Dive Charters

^^^^ He has a bigger boat so more people go out and its usually spearfishing driven. He is a little harder to get in with he is always booked up.

Yea for the DR I should have used blue water for sure and for some reason I had it on green.

I do wear the mask mount when spearfishing but if not I use the stick. The mask mount is great but the bubbles tend to hit the camera and shale the camera. I was actually thinking of doing the exhaust kit on my B2 to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Yea if you want to go out around here I have 2 guys I could put you in contact with.

The one guy you probably book privately and he would take just you guys diving, if you do it and I am free I will jump on and go with you guys.

Joel Sabin with Salty Dog Charters
That would be great. I may have to get in touch with Joel at some point and will definitely let you know if you're interested too. We haven't tried spearfishing, but don't really care if folks around us are doing it... in fact, I wouldn't mind observing just to see how it's all done. May be something I/we try at some point?!

I do wear the mask mount when spearfishing but if not I use the stick. The mask mount is great but the bubbles tend to hit the camera and shale the camera. I was actually thinking of doing the exhaust kit on my B2 to see if that helps.
Interesting... hadn't thought about the bubbles, but makes good sense. I bought a stick just so I could get into smaller places w/it, etc. So on the gulf side, you'd recommend using the green water setting instead of blue?

Well it depends on the vis really. Right now anything 30 miles (60 ft) or shallower yea I would use green. But sometimes that changes and it can be blue water there.

Outside of 30 miles the vis gets a lot better and I would use blue. But then again if you look at the video the part with the grassy bottom I might have been better off with green there. Just 3 miles away the water was super blue. So I think its best to scope the water and decide then but at the same time my default is blue because if the setting is blue and the water is green it will still turn out alright but if the setting is green and the water is blue the video is almost not worth watching.

Yea I am totally down to go for sure whenever I have a pretty laxed schedule and he goes out literally 2 miles from my house. So just give me a heads and I will come with you guys, maybe even me and Joel will spear and you guys can tag along and see how it works and maybe even try shooting some snapper thats what you want to learn on. If you can shoot a small snapper you can shoot anything, they are not the easiest to shoot :)

My son is 14 and he just got his cert so I could bring him along.

Keep me posted and as long as i have 10 days or so notice I can make it happen for sure.

Back
Top Bottom