Learning the Oceanic Atom 2.0

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBASailor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Before I purchased my Atom 2.0, I was aware that the operating manual was poorly written, so I was not surprised by finding exactly that. I am wondering if anyone has ever written a shortcut document that presents the operations in a reasonable manner, or if there's some kind of online training available. It really is a PITA to figure out how to do something with this manual. I did a search here, but didn't find anything. Thanks.

...... I am wondering if anyone has ever written a shortcut document that presents the operations in a reasonable manner, or if there's some kind of online training available. .......
We plan to release the online class for the Atom 2.0 by the end of September.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

FWIW, I got an Oceanic Geo two years ago and found the manual totally incomprehensible. I eventually spent several HOURS just pressing buttons and drawing my own diagram of which button pushes (short or long, and in which combination) would lead from one screen to another. I actually finally figured the whole thing out, and have been happily using my home-made cheat sheet for it ever since. No documentation that I received with it has been any use at all, but once I was able to develop my own picture of how it's laid out, I found myself saying, "Why didn't they just SAY that??"

I'm not familiar with your model and don't know how much it differs or is similar to mine. If you're interested in the diagram/map I made for mine, and perhaps a follow-up phone call to explain it, just shoot me a PM.

I agree with your comment "Why didn't they just say that?". I am an electrical engineer, and I've had to write a number of operating manuals over the years. I would never have released anything as poorly presented as the Atom manual. I had started to do my own chart of operations, just as you mentioned, but I figured it would take forever. I'd love to get a copy of your diagram for the Geo. I will PM you with contact info. Thanks!

FWIW, I got an Oceanic Geo two years ago and found the manual totally incomprehensible. I eventually spent several HOURS just pressing buttons and drawing my own diagram of which button pushes (short or long, and in which combination) would lead from one screen to another. ......
I am sorry we did not have the Oceanic Geo Online Class back then. Now we do :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Before I purchased my Atom 2.0, I was aware that the operating manual was poorly written, so I was not surprised by finding exactly that. I am wondering if anyone has ever written a shortcut document that presents the operations in a reasonable manner, or if there's some kind of online training available. It really is a PITA to figure out how to do something with this manual. I did a search here, but didn't find anything. Thanks.

Which function do you need?

Which function do you need?

I need all of them. SeaHorse81 sent me a copy of the flow diagrams she did for the Geo. From what I can see, most of it applies to the Atom 2.0, as well. She has inspired me to create my own for the Atom 2.0. This will probably be a long term project, but once it is presentable, I will make it available on ScubaBoard.

I am sorry we did not have the Oceanic Geo Online Class back then. Now we do :D

I'm glad to see it. The Geo, for example, is a perfectly fine computer which I have enjoyed using. I think that trying to explain its functioning with relatively few illustrations was the problem with the manual. I was puzzled at the relative scarcity of illustrations in general, but especially that there was no overall flow chart like I ended up making on my own. A good addition for future manuals, perhaps?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom