Learning how to use a Visual Plus 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michael-fisch

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just got a 3 year old, new unused and unopened, Visual Plus 3 analyser, off Ebay for a song
Couple of questions:
How hard is it to learn how to use it by myself without a class? I'm probably the only person in central europe who has one and I will not travel to the USA for training.
Is the annual certification of probes and analyser really necessary as long as the probes are in perfect condition?

Please don't explain to me that I gotta have a VIP Class, the law here doesn't require it, actually the law in the USA doesn't either, although industry standards may want it.
Whats the current reccomendation on eddy current testing of 6061 T6 alloy tanks?
I know that eddy current testing of 6351 T6 alloy tanks is highly recommended by Luxfer, but at least in Germany, the TÜV has neither the interest or the analysers to do it. Their method of finding slow load cracking is to proof test the cylinder and if it doesn't fracture it gets its proof stamp.

Michael

Visual Plus 3 manufacturer provides training remotely. It was no charge when I bought my unit, you will have to check regarding your eBay purchase.
DOT requires 6351 eddy current testing every 5 years, Luxfer US site says minimum every 2.5 years, I make it a routine requirement with annual visual inspections. The danger of failure is at the fill station, so an annual test is a minor imposition if you want me to fill those tanks. I cannot speak to extending the annual calibration cycle.

My Visual Plus 3 showed up yesterday, and yes, it looks like it was untouched by human hands.
Ordered a USB C to Serial converter, which should show up on Tuesday. Unfortunately at US$ 15 it raised my total investment to almost US$ 50, but I'm still thinking I got a great deal.
After it shows up, I'll try to hook everything up and try it out - hope the USB converter with a FTDI / FT232RL chipset I ordered is compatible with the Vision Plus 3.
Read the online manual and watched the 2 short training videos, but knowing how much fun establishing a functioning serial connection to USB can be, I'm expecting a few hours of experimentation before I have a working system. I'll post again on Wednesday.

Michael

The USB C Serial Converter showed up last night, and I installed it. Installed the Visual Plus 3 software this morning and then spent the next 30 minutes configuring the software. But it works! Perfectly!
I now have a brand new Visual Plus 3 in perfect working condition, and all I now have to do is get used to working with it.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom