learning how to use a dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stas

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I just bought a used dui cf200 dry suit. I have never dove with a drysuit and don't really have anyone to teach me. I could take a class but I don't want to pay 180 dollars. I am looking for a book or video where I can get the theory and some drills and then I would go to my friends pool and practice. Does any one have any suggestions (or wants to go diving with me and show me how to use the suit, in say dutch springs), it would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Stas

stas:
Hi,
I just bought a used dui cf200 dry suit. I have never dove with a drysuit and don't really have anyone to teach me. I could take a class but I don't want to pay 180 dollars. I am looking for a book or video where I can get the theory and some drills and then I would go to my friends pool and practice. Does any one have any suggestions (or wants to go diving with me and show me how to use the suit, in say dutch springs), it would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Stas
Something to think about Stas ... the biggest potential danger of diving a drysuit is getting inverted, having all the air in your suit migrate to your feet, and taking an unintended feet-first ride to the surface. Depending on how much air is in your suit, and how deep you ascended from, it's possible that you won't be able to do a thing to right yourself on the surface ... you'll just hang there, head down, with your fins on the surface until someone comes along to help you. If no one comes along in time, you will eventually run out of air ...

One reason why we recommend training for people who want to wear a drysuit is so you can learn how to keep yourself out of that situation.

If you cannot find a qualified mentor to help you learn the basics, take the course ... your safety's worth more than $180 ... although I must say, that's bloody expensive for a drysuit orientation (they're typically $50 to $75 around here).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Depending on how much air is in your suit, and how deep you ascended from, it's possible that you won't be able to do a thing to right yourself on the surface ... you'll just hang there, head down, with your fins on the surface until someone comes along to help you. If no one comes along in time, you will eventually run out of air ...
Really? I was told that was urban legend. I always thought that, as long as your valve was open, you could squeeze up into a ball, pushing a lot of the air out, and flip back over.

No?? (I'll have to try it.)

stas:
Hi,
Thanks, Stas
I don't know what your experience level is but if you have to ask its best to go with an instructor..A dry suit speciality class is much more than just learning to use suit..Care,maintaining features,benefits of different materials used in construction,thermal considerations,repair,undergarments etc..pm me if interested,we are in NYC..classroom academics-pool-ow dives should be included in a good dry specialty course.

Rick Inman:
Really? I was told that was urban legend. I always thought that, as long as your valve was open, you could squeeze up into a ball, pushing a lot of the air out, and flip back over.

No?? (I'll have to try it.)
No...you squeeze into a ball to help invert yourself and get the valve back to the high point so it can vent.

JeffG:
No...you squeeze into a ball to help invert yourself and get the valve back to the high point so it can vent.
That's what I ment. But NWGD is saying that you can get into a situation where that's not possible.

Dry Suit Diving by Dick Long. Very good all inclusive book. Congrats on your purchse. I hope it brings you many safe and dry dives!

NWGratefulDiver:
Something to think about Stas ... the biggest potential danger of diving a drysuit is getting inverted, having all the air in your suit migrate to your feet, and taking an unintended feet-first ride to the surface. Depending on how much air is in your suit, and how deep you ascended from, it's possible that you won't be able to do a thing to right yourself on the surface ... you'll just hang there, head down, with your fins on the surface until someone comes along to help you. If no one comes along in time, you will eventually run out of air ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

What????what ever you are drinking I want some...Ascent to surface can happen..Hanging upside down on surface??

Rick Inman:
That's what I ment. But NWGD is saying that you can get into a situation where that's not possible.
I guess if the expansion of gas was extreme. I know a guy that inverted himself in a pool and put gas in his suit to try and find a leak. He got into that position. (Freaked him out too), but the amount of gas in his suit was "lots"

Rick Inman:
If you do it soon enough ... or you don't have a lot of air in the suit ... it's doable (but not easy if you haven't practiced it).

The "tuck and roll" is the first safety skill we teach the new drysuit diver. The key ... just like venting to avoid accidental ascents ... is recognizing the situation and taking steps to prevent it before expansion takes control of your dive.

Rick ... rather than risking an accidental ascent, go out with your dive buddy, invert from about 5 feet (where your fins will be close to the surface), hit your inflator button ... put enough air in your suit to simulate an accidental ascent from, oh, say 40 feet or so ... and attempt a recovery.

Tell us how well you managed it ... (in truth, an experienced diver might be able to pull it off) ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom