Learning about decompression diving during covid-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The last time I had done math like this was my freshman year in college - 1987. :D

For me I wonder if my standard gas based approach will be accepted. One of the dive planning questions in AN had a depth where the best mix would be like 36%, but I would never dive with 36%. So I planned it with my standard 32%.

Also what the heck is an elite diver?

For me I wonder if my standard gas based approach will be accepted. One of the dive planning questions in AN had a depth where the best mix would be like 36%, but I would never dive with 36%. So I planned it with my standard 32%.

Also what the heck is an elite diver?

:rofl3:

For anything 111ft and shallower, I'm diving 32% since that's what my shop banks. Otherwise, it's 28% (for down to 130ft).

THE FIVE WAYPOINTS AND SIMPLE ASCENT BEHAVIOR

full.jpg

Diveraid.com

You can register and view the online training materials for all their courses for free.

Others will have to comment on the quality of their courses.

I haven't taken any actual RAID courses, but the course material isn't without flaws. At this point, I think the scuba industry as a whole needs a few editors, because almost no one seems capable of producing a publication without abundant grammatical errors. I'm far from perfect in that regard, but it drives me nuts that everything I read covering diving topics is littered with errors. That said, the two RAID courses I read through were informative and well put together.

Deco for Divers was the same, lots of grammatical errors. Also, my book physically fell apart the first time I opened it, which I was rather upset by.

I haven't reached into reading the NOAA or Navy manuals yet, but one thing I'd specifically pay attention to, and do further reading than any one book (look toward the novel research directly) @tbone1004 alluded to; a lot of stuff is out of date, due to new research. Probably the hottest topic in regards to deco, and "out of date," is the deep stop/Pyle stop debate. NEDU did some experiments that suggested the DCS risk while using deep stop profiles is actually greater than using more traditional deco models. That was a big blow to the deep stop proponents, and prompted some shift in opinions. Others have published research, or (Deco for Divers being an example of this) narratives explaining why the Navy study doesn't apply to recreational/technical diving. Point being: deep stops are rather hotly debated, with research both supporting and denouncing their safety. If the topic interests you, you'll likely have to dig deeper (no pun intended) than manuals or books on decompression in general, since the debate is ongoing. Just like anything else with diving, it'll be your call to make, based on your own assessment of the risks one way or the other.

I'm a recreational diver for now and during this Covid situation I am looking to learn more about diving. All courses are postponed for now. Any recommendations for good reading materials that would allow me to understand more about deco diving and how a diver goes about planing and executing a deco dive. I could probably buy course manuals but I'm not sure I want to sign up for a tech class right now.

You can purchase the TDI manuals from DGX without committing to a course. I had mine for more than a year before I signed up for my course.

For TDI, the books you would get are Advanced Nitrox and Decompression Procedures. If you were interested in doing Helitrox along with AN/DP, you would also get the Extended Range/Trimix manual.

Technical Diving International (TDI) Manuals | Dive Gear Express®

Deco for Divers was the same, lots of grammatical errors. Also, my book physically fell apart the first time I opened it, which I was rather upset by.

I've read mine 4-5 times and all pages are still firmly attached to the spine. So you got a bum copy.

I've read mine 4-5 times and all pages are still firmly attached to the spine. So you got a bum copy.

Or maybe you got an oddball good copy? :p

I don't really care either way, the fact that my $30 book started shedding pages the first time it was opened is upsetting. Doesn't matter to me whose fault it is or isn't, the fact remains that I paid a not insignificant sum for something that essentially broke on its first use. I don't think many people would be satisfied to have a $30 flashlight break the first time they turned it on, regardless of how many others have the same model and no issues.

Thanks for the suggestions! Just curiously how much did you guys pay for Mike Powell’s books? I was looking on Amazon..

Thanks for the suggestions! Just curiously how much did you guys pay for Mike Powell’s books? I was looking on Amazon..

$30-35. Well worth every penny.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom