Learned my lesson the easy way

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crispix

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I recently starting diving with a 19cf pony. I just have a single hose on it, no pressure gauge. Got it filled a week ago, checked the pressure at the shop before I left.

Went diving this morning. Hooked up the pony reg and gave it my usual test breath. It was breathing really hard. I hooked it up to my primary regular set (with spg), and it was practically empty!

Obviously a major problem. But think what could have happened if it was only half full? My test breaths would have been fine, and I would have been diving with a pony half the size of what I thought it was. I don't plan on using my pony, but if I need it I expect it to be full!

Moral of the story: always check every tank's pressure immediately before every dive. I believe I will get a pony gauge just for that reason.

I don't know why I thought it was ok to have a different pre-dive procedure for my pony tank. I know it is not necessary to have an SPG on the pony, but it's still important to test the pressure right before the dive.

(Now I have to figure out why it was empty. Hopefully the knob just came loose during handling, or one of my kids was messing around with it. "Hey let's empty dad's tank! That'll be funny when he goes diving tomorrow!")

Actually it is worth while to have a small pony gauge on your pony reg just for this reason and some others. For instance, you do the initial test with your primary but then leave it as is between dives. Say some dork on the boat leans their kit on your pony reg just enough to slowly open the purge. There goes your gas. Mean while the deck crew has swapped your cylinders and put your primary reg back on. Are you really going to take regs off again and check?? Probably not. Much easier to have a mini gauge to check.

Even the tiny button gauges let you see whether your tank is half full. $40 could save your life. Seems worth it to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom