Learn here or learn there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jpintexas

New
Reaction score
I am wondering and wanting input. Should I take a scuba class here in Dallas, Texas then go get open water certified in the florida keys, or should I just go to the keys and do the whole deal there? Class, test and all.
Any imput is appreciated.
jpintexas@hotmail.com :confused:

We just had a similar discussion a few days ago. Here is the thread.

JP, I'm hardly the voice of experience, but we're halfway through our OW classes -- taking a 6-week session -- and we'll be going to the Keys next month to do our checkout dives. We had previously considered doing a trip to do the entire certification over 4 days, and I am so glad we chose to do it this way instead.

I'm finding that there's a lot of information to absorb, and it really helps me to have the week in between classes to let things "gel" a bit. I had a hard time at first with the mask-clearing skill, and went to the pool on my own time to get some practice in and feel more comfortable with it. Of course everyone is different, but if we had chosen to do it all over a few consecutive days I think it would have been overload. That's just me.

Cheers
Angie

I had some friends who did their class and pool work in Colorado and then flew down to the Keys to do their confined water and open water check outs. It was a great solution for them and I would recommend it. With the universal referral programs that exist, you should have no problem finding someone to "complete your training" (sorry, star wars stuff) for you.

:thumb:

Hi and welcome to the world of scuba.

Personally, I did my book work, and pool work in Chicago. Instead of doing my OW in the cold quarries here, I flew down to Cozumel.
It worked out with no problems..and that was almost 6 years ago.
Have fun and dive safe!

:sunny:

If I had a choice to dive warm 100+ vis with lots to see and do or Dive cold 60 deg water with 10-20 vis which would I decide.

Mmm..Cold..mmm ...poor vis... mmm ...seeing sysco the shark vs ah warm waters....clear vis...lots of cool fish...hard decision..Not. I'm still waitin for March to be over so the water temps will warm up. I say do the class and pool work at home then do the open water in Fla. That way you go at your pace and get some great diving in when your ready.

Have Fun,
Geek

Back
Top Bottom