Leaky wrist seal solution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

befee

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I fall under the category of drysuit divers with those annoying tendons that produce "valleys" at the wrist. So when diving with my regular latex wrist seals, I tend to get a little damp after a few dives. Although it is not too bothersome, if there is a way to stop this it would be better.

My current solution is drygloves, but when possible I prefer not using them. I have also seen, mentioned occasionally, something about neoprene wristbands. If anyone has details on this such as pictures, descriptions, etc. that would be most helpful.

Thanks
BF

You might try these: Apollo Wrist Seals

A friend of mine uses them with great success.

I went to the local sewing supply store and bought a bunch of 1" elastic. I then sewed bands that were small enough to be a little snug on my wrists, and wore them over my seals. It helped a LOT.

Reactions: Jax
Thanks for the info so far.

TSandM (Lynne), do you wear the bands up high on the wrists, right against the hands, or towards the forearm?

I went to the local sewing supply store and bought a bunch of 1" elastic. I then sewed bands that were small enough to be a little snug on my wrists, and wore them over my seals. It helped a LOT.

Thanks for the info so far.

TSandM (Lynne), do you wear the bands up high on the wrists, right against the hands, or towards the forearm?

+1 on elastic or something over the seals. Also, I wear mine high the wrists.

I found a small 1/4" wide rubber band that I wear on my left wrist (over the seal), and I wear my dive watch over the right seal. I just lucked out that it is *just* compressive enough. It helped a LOT.

I have some 1.5" wide rubber material onto which I am going to glue velcro, to see if I can make effective sealers.

Do you just slip these around your wrists and then put the regular seal over that and it keeps everything tight or am I missing something here?

Yep, the silicone is fairly thick and conforms without puckering like latex, then the seal sticks to the silicone. It will break down latex seals faster (or so they say), so make sure you rinse the seals afterward with fresh water.

I bought a neck seal to see if I could get rid of hangman's neck (I get an abrasion rash from my current neck seal) but am just having silicone seals installed (thanks to White's and Dive Right In Scuba) so may not get a chance to use it.

I put my elastic at the end of the seal near the wrist. It works pretty well. A Velcro closure might be nice, but my wrists are so small that there isn't a lot of room for much Velcro.

Bottle neck seals provide more sealing area when compared to cone seals.

This
JZNkL.jpg

vs

This
4hCJj.jpg

Point of information: Bottle seals need to be sized to your wrist. Cone seals are trimmed to fit, and that doesn't work with bottle seals.

Bottle neck seals provide more sealing area when compared to cone seals.

This
JZNkL.jpg

vs

This
4hCJj.jpg

Point of information: Bottle seals need to be sized to your wrist. Cone seals are trimmed to fit, and that doesn't work with bottle seals.

Thanks, I'm aware that this is also an option but I have/use zip-seals

Back
Top Bottom