Leaking HOG SPG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteSands

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My buddy and I are both using HOG D1 regs with HOG 2" SPGs. We bought them at the same time and we probably have about 40-50 dives on them.

On the last dive, my buddy's SPG had bubbles coming out of the area where the HP hose connects to the SPG. We thought it was a loose connection but when we checked it, it was tight.

On a dive yesterday, I noticed my SPG had started to do the same, and there were a stream of bubbles coming out from the connection.

I checked the connection on mine and it too seems to be tight.

What could be the problem, and what's the fix? Thanks.

Undo the spg and pull the spool out of the spg or hose. Replace the o rings make sure to put some lube on the o rings. I use crystolube.

Last edited:
Like babafan said.

You may not of lubed the o-rings. that's a no-go :bonk: :)

I used Tribolube (DGE) and here's your SPG spool o-ring (DGE)

Don't bother replacing the spool o-rings. Just replace the whole spool. Frustrating little o-rings to begin with, and it might just be a problem with that run of spools if it is both of you. New spools are a couple of bucks.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like babafan said.

You may not of lubed the o-rings. that's a no-go :bonk: :)

I used Tribolube (DGE) and here's your SPG spool o-ring (DGE)

Thanks for the replies everyone.

So do I just need to lube the O-rings, or is it necessary to change a new one?

I went over to DGE to look at the O-rings and the lube, and was surprised they recommend against lubing even the SPG swivel O-ring?

[h=3]How Much and Where to Use Lubricant[/h] Some people very sparingly lubricate the SPG swivel O-rings, but you should know that SPG and hose assemblies from our suppliers are never lubricated. If you do choose lube the SPG swivel o-rings, take care not to be so generous that lube might migrate up into the Bourdon tube mechanism and cause your SPG to become inaccurate. Some people also sparingly lubricate the threads of valves before they are installed in the cylinder neck. Do NOT lubricate the neck O-ring itself, and absolutely positively do not lubricate the valve/regulator seal O-ring or DIN threads. Most lubricant is used with dynamic seals in regulators and other equipment with moving parts. As a general rule, the O-rings used with static seals in SCUBA applications should not be lubricated at all. The lubricant just causes contamination to stick to the surface of the O-ring and results in more problems with a static seal than any dubious benefit the lubricant might provide.

If it's leaking, lubing is not the answer. At the bare minimum you need to replace both O-rings, easier is to just replace the entire spool assembly with a new one (new spool comes pre-loaded with new O-rings). I try to keep a spool and a few spool O-rings in my save a dive kit. Both have come in handy at some point.

I've heard and tried both camps on lubing, use sparingly vs pack all you can in there. My personal results have been zero issues either way and zero longevity issues so far (about 5 years each way) in fresh water. YMMV in salt water.

So do I just need to lube the O-rings, or is it necessary to change a new one?

I went over to DGE to look at the O-rings and the lube, and was surprised they recommend against lubing even the SPG swivel O-ring?

We're not sure why your SPGs are leaking so it would be safest to just replace the o-rings. Note what TSandM also said (here) about the whole spool.

I didn't know about people not lubing them as you pointed out from DGE Tek Tip. I thought it should get a very light coating, no excess at all, rubbed on with fingers. And that's how I do it.

I hope your SPGs are totally dried out.

As others have said replace the whole spool it's only a few dollars. I too lightly lube the O rings. I recently had a bad run with spools with leaks resulting in having to replace 3 spools in as many weeks. No idea what was going on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom