Leaking DX-50D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chop

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a 50D from my LDS last month. It has 8 dives on it. Last weekend I went through 2900 psi on a 21 minute dive (obviously nowhere near normal). On the surface, I can hear air leaking out of the second stage when I put it close to my ear. My LDS (whom I trust implicitly - great Zeagle dealer) looked at it once and said there is nothing wrong with it. After diving today with the same results, my LDS suggested "tightening" the second stage (not sure what this entails, but the second stage comes off the hose). This fixed the problem until going down for another 15 minutes, coming up with a lot less air than normal, and hearing the "hissing" sound of leaking air again.

My LDS has said "tightening" it some more should work, even though it may increase breathing resistence somewhat. I really don't want a fix that adversely impacts this regulator's performance (I've really liked it in the few dives I've made with it).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

It sounds like something’s going on here that “tightening” the second stage is not curing. If you’d like, we be very happy to give this regulator a detailed examination to find out what is going on. You can have the shop send it in to us, or contact me for other options....

Thanks,

Scott

chop,

Scott's offer could be the best way to go.

But I'll try to explain the workings of your 2nd stage regulator a little bit, so you have a better understanding and you might want to give your LDS one more stab at it first.

It's not uncommon for a new 2nd stage to have a hissing leak after just a few dives. Regulators are set for very good breathing performance at the factory and checked for leaks. Sometimes it takes a few dives for the seat in the second stage to take a set, and then it developes a slight hissing leak. Tightening up the 2nd stage means adjusting the breathing resistance control (the knob on the far right in the diagram) in a clockwise direction until the hissing stops. This should not take very much rotation, maybe just half a turn, or so. You are compressing the spring seen in the cutaway and putting slightly more pressure on the seat which should stop the hissing without undue loss of breathing performance. If it does it again it would be prudent to try another half turn.

A regulator that has the adjustment tightened all the way, or nearly all the way clockwise, will not breathe easy like it should. The regulator should be taken in for service to return it to proper easy breathing performance without leaking.

If it keeps leaking after several attemps to adjust out the leak, it is showing there is another problem.

Likely problems might be: (Note that only a regulator repair tech normally would correct these problems.)

The seat may be scored or groved. Usually this occurs when it gets older and hardens, but not always.

The seat may have debris on it that prohibits a good seal.

An unlikely problem might be that the regulators 1st stage is overpressuring the 2nd stage. It is prudent to check the IP, intermediate pressure, to be sure it is proper and stable.

About one thing you said, ("not sure what this entails, but the second stage comes off the hose"), this is the internal adjustment that normally only a regulator tech is going to make. On the left side of the diagram, where the hose attaches there is an adjustment that can only be made by removing the hose, and then reattaching it. You can't see the seat and orifice in the pic. If the LDS did this once, it is not uncommon to possibly still need to tighten the resistence knob once yourself.

Once your regulator is broken in, breathing good & with the hissing stopped, it will give you good service for a pretty good length of time. Often by the end of the year the regulator will begin to breathe less efficiently and may start leaking again. Maybe sooner for very avid divers. It is telling you it's time for the annual service.

I hope this helps a little.

Chad
FL Zeagle Rep

(I drew in the + Venturi and - Venturi positions and air path shown by the green arrows, to show students what was going on with the other adjustment.)

Wow, I just noticed this is my 1000th post!

Attachments

• + venturi.jpg
    + venturi.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 2 - venturi.jpg
    2 - venturi.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 32

Back
Top Bottom