Leaking dry zip at closing end

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

w3dge

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Folks,

My drysuit has suddenly started making me wet (for all the wrong reasons), and I've traced the leak back to the end of the zip (where it seals when you close it).

I can't immediately see anything wrong in there, but I'm not 100% exactly how this part is supposed to make its seal, so I may be missing something. All surfaces seem clean and clear, free from any tears etc.

I've attached a photograph, and wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Cheers

Attachments

• dryzip.jpg
    dryzip.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 195
Looks like there should be no problem. I'd pressurize the suit and spray some soapy water on it to make sure that's where it's coming from.

Looks like there should be no problem. I'd pressurize the suit and spray some soapy water on it to make sure that's where it's coming from.

I have done, and its definitely the culprit. Its not just a small leak - you can actually hear the gas escaping quite clearly :(

I should probably mention - the speed at which the gas escapes (at least the sound it makes) changes when you manipulate the zip. Pushing it a little bit seems to make it stop, whilst pulling it to either side really makes it flow.

Is it new? It looks good from the photo. I'd be tempted to say it was a manufacturer defect and I would probably be taking it back to the dealer or repair shop if I were in this situation.

Is it new? It looks good from the photo. I'd be tempted to say it was a manufacturer defect and I would probably be taking it back to the dealer or repair shop if I were in this situation.

I've done around 100 dives in it, had it a little over a year. Not even a droplet of water in until recently. Confusing!

Check the material around the brass teeth for any spots that may have worn through. I've had that happen before because the zipper would get a fold or kink in it when zipped.

The tiny row of black rubber triangles (looks kind of like a toboerone chocolate bar) between the teeth at the docking end is what makes the end of the zipper watertight. The zipper sits on top of these. The little triangles are set on a piece of fabric that is glued/sealed behind both sides of the zipper. Sometimes normal wear and tear, or a slightly-too-forceful tug around that area can tear those connections. Happened to me recently when I slipped while donning the suit, pulling the zipper apart sharply. I can't tell from your pic if this is the case, but it's unlikely that that can be diagnosed from a pic because of how small this tear can be that will cause damage.

Gently pull the brass teeth away from the little black triangle row on each side and looks for signs of tearing or a loose seam. If the tear is minor, you can apply a small dab of aquaseal with a tiny brush/ toothpick or if you're handy enough, you might be able to install an entirely new backing piece of fabric as well to the area to reinforce the area. This was my fix for a pretty substantial tear (one side of the black triangles was almost completely torn away) and it's held so far (~25 dives). Be extremely careful if you undertake this not to get any aquaseal in the actual teeth of the zipper as this will cause you a dozen more problems that will be much harder to fix.

If this is the case, you're going to have to be very careful with donning and doffing the suit for the remainder of the life of the zipper as re-tearing that tiny seam will be much easier. What I do is keep my dress zipper zipped over this area at all times so that stress on the area is taken by the cover zip and does not pull on the zip dock or flushing. I also make a point to be very conscientious of what's happening in that area as I'm suiting up.

You're spot on, that is exactly what has happened. It was obvious to me as soon as I compared it to another zip - both sides had completely torn away from the seal.

I have glued it up, and quite happy with the results - going for a water test this weekend!

I'm not entirely sure how this has happened if I'm honest, as I'm always conscious and careful with the zip. The is a piece of reinforcement fabric above the zip that seems to be designed to stop the zip spreading and tearing, but obviously that doesn't work too well :(

Should probably mention that this is a front entry suit.

Its one of the most crucial and one of the most delicate parts of the suit/zipper unfortunately, only takes one unfortunate tug to compromise, and it doesn't always happen during donning/doffing. Using the dress zipper to take the stress off it for the remainder of the zipper life will go a long way to making sure your patch holds. Also, when you store the suit, you should do so with the dress zip fully closed and the dry zip open; this is the best way to preserve and protect the zipper during storage and transport.

Good advice. Unfortunately, the outer zip closes top down, so no chance of having it protect the water tight zip during don/doff. I like the idea of keeping it closed during storage and handling though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom