Leak in wing??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crpntr133

lost, even with a compass
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just bought a new Zeagle 45lb lift wing. Someplace it has a slow leak. I have checked all dump valves for tightness. The inflator is an older one but it doesn't show any signs of leaking either.
One thing that really puzzles me is that I have done several dry tests and one time it will stay inflated over night. Next time it won't stay inflated for over an hour. The more pressure that is behind it the faster it leaks, I think. Today I had it out diving and within 20 minutes of getting the gear on and in the water it had deflated slightly. I say this meaning that the OPV valve popped when first inflated and then I added more when I got into the water. It also seemed a bit less tight. It never totally deflates just most of the way.

Any ideas of where to start so I might not have to send it to Zeagle.

do it easy:
Have you tried pumping it up and spraying it with soapy water? Any leaks will form bubbles.

simply holding is underwater will also form bubbles, like finding a leak in a tire.

Submerged soap and water tests are best for locating leaks (you probably knew that), so try that first. 2 important things to check as I've had a similar experience recently. Especially since you've made a bladder change. Remember, it's always best to take it to a service tech.

1st: where the power inflator connects to the wing, check to see if the lock nut is cross-threaded. Even a minor mal-adjustment can cause a leak here. While that is off, go to #2.

2nd: while you have the nut and hose removed, check the flat O ring for damage. Replace as needed. Sometimes if there is a groove worked in one side you can flip it over. Replace the hose and locking nut (careful not to cross-thread) and tighten properly.

I discovered my leak in this specific location after servicing. These are the steps my service LDS took to fix the problem...and no more leak. If this does not resolve the issue, your service tech may have to dig deeper.

If you just bought it, wouldn't you simply want to replace it with a new one instead of patching?

The first place to start is to take apart the various dump valves and remove any sand, grit, and salt crystals. Since sometimes it hold air and sometimes it doesn't, my guess is that sometimes the valves seat completely and other times they leak a bit.

My guess is that if you had a pinhole in the bladder, that it would leak pretty much the same everytime.

A minor leak like this isn't important in and of itself -- it's only important if it is an forewarning of some more significant failure such as a small rip in the bladder opening up into a big one.

Charlie99:
The first place to start is to take apart the various dump valves and remove any sand, grit, and salt crystals. Since sometimes it hold air and sometimes it doesn't, my guess is that sometimes the valves seat completely and other times they leak a bit.

My guess is that if you had a pinhole in the bladder, that it would leak pretty much the same everytime.

A minor leak like this isn't important in and of itself -- it's only important if it is an forewarning of some more significant failure such as a small rip in the bladder opening up into a big one.

I am leaning more towards the dump valves not seating properly or such. I have checked for crossed thread don't seem to be. Checked for clean surfaces even thought it has been wet 6 times in fresh water.

The way that I checked it in the tub was to partially fill it and then knelt on it. So there was 175 lbs of pressure on the bladder. No leaks.

For those that keep saying take it to a tech, that would be "send it back to Zeagle". My closest dealer is about 3 hours away. I'm not looking at patching it.

Dump valves would be a similar location to what I described and a very good one to check! That would have been my next option had we not located mine so easily.

FYI, do more than one test on it. Sometimes it's not the partial fill and pressure upon the bladder that institute a slow leak. Sometimes it's being filled to the point that the dump valves are partially opening (overfill dump) and may not be seating properly as a result, so good point on checking the DVs. This is exactly how I found my leak. Of course, you know the "if all else fails" already.

I had been inflating orally just to see what I got, it still would deflate. Thought maybe that something wasn't seated right and a good burst off the inflator would settle everything in. Nope still leaks. Maybe it is time for the tub again.

Back
Top Bottom