Leading a Family Visit to Tampa Area - HELP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Headed that way July 21 - with grown daughter, son-in-law, adolescent gradson, 1 year old granddaughter, and my sis. :11: Think it's going to be like chairing a committee...

We arrive at noon on Wednesday, and I've got two full-size cars booked. Cheaper than a mini-van, and more flexible. As motely as our group is, I think the best we can plan on is:

Wednesday afternoon: Drive north, see sights, find hotel, set up camp.

Thursday morning: Mermaid park.
Afternoon open

Friday morning: Early Crystal River boat.
Afternoon: Relocate down to the coast somewhere.

Saturday morning: Beach day
Afternoon open

Sunday morning: Busch gardens
Afternoon: Relocate to local hotel

Monday return to Texas...

I think that's about the best I can organzie for a taste of the Gulf Coast, consdiering the crew, and I doubt that I should even bring my Scuba gear.

Anysuggestions...??

thanks, don

:D

Hey there Texas Don! Weelllll... here's some options for beach day:

Venice Beach for shark tooth hunting. ScubaFool's most excellent complimentary other half found a nice Megalodon on the beach there last weekend. There is the added benefit of diving for teeth yourself. Directions are in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Bradenton Beach has the Wreck of the Regina, aka The Sugar Barge. There is also Spaish Rocks to dive there. Directions should be forthcoming in the sticky.. maybe SimBrooks would be so kind as to write some info about that location as I've not been there to dive yet. :)

If you really want to go a little further south, there is Manasota Key. Awesome toothing on the beach, so the kids and non-diver types will have a great time there and its pretty quiet over all.

Of course,this is all west coast of FL dive speak :D

DandyDon:
Headed that way July 21 - with grown daughter, son-in-law, adolescent gradson, 1 year old granddaughter, and my sis. :11: Think it's going to be like chairing a committee...

We arrive at noon on Wednesday, and I've got two full-size cars booked. Cheaper than a mini-van, and more flexible. As motely as our group is, I think the best we can plan on is:

Wednesday afternoon: Drive north, see sights, find hotel, set up camp.

Thursday morning: Mermaid park.
Afternoon open

Friday morning: Early Crystal River boat.
Afternoon: Relocate down to the coast somewhere.

Saturday morning: Beach day
Afternoon open

Sunday morning: Busch gardens
Afternoon: Relocate to local hotel

Monday return to Texas...

I think that's about the best I can organzie for a taste of the Gulf Coast, consdiering the crew, and I doubt that I should even bring my Scuba gear.

Anysuggestions...??

thanks, don

Hi Don
I live in Tampa area and see you have planned the trip with plenty to do. Here are few questions and tips that should help.
First the mermaid park must be weeki wachee springs ??
You can scuba dive the spring if local dive shop is going to be there.
They have hotel right across from attraction and this can be used to reach day two site Crystal River boat about 30 minute drive north. I assume this is to snorkel with the Manatees ? You can also scuba dive King Spring,American Pro offers a snorkel and dive deal.
Ok Beach day I recommend Clearwater beach great public beach and easy to find. You can get hotel in Tampa its only 30-40 minute drive across the bay to Clearwater this will save another hotel change.
Bush Gradens is and ALL DAY park with plenty for all to do and see. There is also many other things to do in the area day/night examples Lowery park, Florida aquarium, Dali Museum , Yubor City any many many more. I'm sure you will see many attraction phamlets at the hotels. Rest assured you will not be bored. If you have any other question PM me and I'll try to help as best I can

CBulla:
Hey there Texas Don! Weelllll... here's some options for beach day:

Venice Beach for shark tooth hunting. ScubaFool's most excellent complimentary other half found a nice Megalodon on the beach there last weekend. There is the added benefit of diving for teeth yourself. Directions are in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Bradenton Beach has the Wreck of the Regina, aka The Sugar Barge. There is also Spaish Rocks to dive there. Directions should be forthcoming in the sticky.. maybe SimBrooks would be so kind as to write some info about that location as I've not been there to dive yet. :)

If you really want to go a little further south, there is Manasota Key. Awesome toothing on the beach, so the kids and non-diver types will have a great time there and its pretty quiet over all.

Of course,this is all west coast of FL dive speak :D

Yeah, I need to read up some more tonight on the beach areas and narrow that down. Venice would be as far south as I could get this committee after going north to C-River, with plans for Busch Garens to follow.

Thanks for your input & interest. I'll be back on this...

cardzard:
Hi Don
I live in Tampa area and see you have planned the trip with plenty to do. Here are few questions and tips that should help.

First the mermaid park must be weeki wachee springs ??
You can scuba dive the spring if local dive shop is going to be there.

They have hotel right across from attraction and this can be used to reach day two site Crystal River boat about 30 minute drive north. I assume this is to snorkel with the Manatees ? You can also scuba dive King Spring,American Pro offers a snorkel and dive deal.

Ok Beach day I recommend Clearwater beach great public beach and easy to find. You can get hotel in Tampa its only 30-40 minute drive across the bay to Clearwater this will save another hotel change.

Bush Gradens is and ALL DAY park with plenty for all to do and see. There is also many other things to do in the area day/night examples Lowery park, Florida aquarium, Dali Museum , Yubor City any many many more. I'm sure you will see many attraction phamlets at the hotels. Rest assured you will not be bored. If you have any other question PM me and I'll try to help as best I can

Yes, Weeki Wachee Springs; didn't want to try the name and get it wrong. I called, and no LDS has plans for that day, but then it's a Thursday, so not surprise. BTW, I am diving Aqyuarena Springs, San Marcos TX, this weekend, where they used to have a good MM show of their own.

Booked the Best Western Resort in C-River, as it's next door to Birds Underwater, where we have to be a 6:30am Friday. Thursday, the first MM show is not until 11am, so we can sleep a little later the first full day, then be next door to the early dock call the second day. $72 a room for a resort as nice as this looks seemed like a bargain.

Spoke with Birds, and they are still finding a few out of season manatees. Even if we miss them, it'll be a nice river boat outing. These others are not divers, not at all.

I'm thinking along your lines, finding a hotel not that far from Bush Gardens for all 3 other nights, and commuting to the beach. This would save one movement {U.S.Marines are so much easier to move than civilians}, and make it easier to arrange a late check-out on Monday. More research...!

You know anything about this resort...??

http://www.marinersclubbahiabeach.com/

Looks pretty nice at less than $90/room/night, but Expedia is advertising them at $60...?!

thanks!

Don,

I live in Tampa, so I can tell you some good places to go after beach/Busch Gardens. I however checked that hotel, it is on the southern part of Tampa Bay, which would make for a easy drive down I-75 to Brandeton/Sarasota beaches to the south and a short trip up I-75 to Busch Gardens.

Any questions on Tampa attractions, ask away.

Paul

hey there Don,
I have not heard of the resort you llisted either- but it is a way south of town- if you wanted that for a base it would be maybe a 45 min drive with traffic to Busch Gardens.
I would put a comment in for the Sarasota beaches- they are nice and there's the sugar barge dive if you want to do it when the family are sitting on the beach. Or there is also Honeymoon island- which is a county/state park (can't remember) and has a nice variation on the peninsula between rocky shoreline and good shelling/rock pools on the north of the beach and shallow sandy swiming area to the south. You can also do the barbeque on the Beach thing there.
As for Busch Gardens- definately close to an all dayer- if you are into saving a few bucks, you are allowed to take picnic stuff into the park- just no large coolers. Sometimes the park food can be expensive!!- don't forget to partake of your two free samples of beer too!!!
when you are looking for a hotel near BG I would watch what you pick- I would not recommend any along Busch Blvd- a lot of them back on to some unsavory areas- might be OK for one night but probably not nice vacation stuff for longer. For a family, any of the properties on fowler ave are all nicer. I live nearby so I know most of them.
Overall- have a blast- theres tons of fun stuff to do near here.

oh- I forgot to say- you should make sure to spend an evening in Ybor City. Its the old spanish area and has resutarants and bars and entertainment (comedy club, cinemaplex etc) It looks like New Orleans without the vomit and urine and is a nice place to spend the early part of an evening. It used to have a reputation, but that has long since gone and the new development makes it a nice place to go for dinner and wanderings.

Okay, my daugher talked me into booking the last 3 nights in one hotel close to Busch Gardens, and we settled on Best Western Suites behind BG:

http://www.worldexecutive.com/directory/usa/tampa/hotels/10296.html

AAA rate in the book was $99 with breakfast, but I got it down to $81. Booking 3 rooms for 3 nights, good savings.

From there, we can commute to the beach to be selected (I'm pusing for Sarasota or Venice), then for BG day - we can come and go, I suppose. Maybe do the Aquarium Monday morning, catch a shower before late check-out and the late afternoon plan.

Appreciate your help, fellers, and I think it's coming together... :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom