Lead batteries on sea bottom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tarponchik

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
During this one dive in Keauhou Bay, I found 2 snorkels, a fishing rod, couple of sinkers, and this battery. I'd say that intentional disposal of snorkeling and fishing gear into the sea is highly unlikely, but what about the battery? This was not the 1st one I ever found while diving, and not the 1st one I found while diving off Kona coast. But I do not know much about boat running and maintenance. So my question to those skilled in the art is, what are the chances of accidently dropping a battery overboard?
DSC04938-1.jpg

Would be a good project for a Search and Recovery class. How much does a battery weigh? How much water does it displace? How much does it now weigh under water? How deep is it? How much air/gas will it take to lift it at depth? How much air/gas will a diver require? Does the diver require additional gas to complete the task? Any instructors out there want to offer up some numbers?

I once helped a canoe that had swamped in Long Island Sound. They had a trolling motor with a battery. When they rolled the canoe the battery fell out. I am not saying that it wasn’t intentional, but the dumb-ass things I have seen boaters do over the years, it wouldn’t surprise me at all.

Possible, but unlikely. I carry a spare battery in my boat (S happens) but it's in a closed hatch. a spare battery in a small open boat could get tossed out in rough water.

But if intentional, why? Most dealers will take an old battery in for recycling when you buy a new one.

But if intentional, why? Most dealers will take an old battery in for recycling when you buy a new one.
And pay you for it if you don't need it for a core.

Until 1990, the USCG dumped the batteries from the ATONs directly under the ATONs. It is a long and honored practice.

Dumping old lead acid batteries in the sea would not make economic sense, aside from the morality of it. Lead isn't a 'precious metal', but it's precious enough! Anyone who sells batteries or buys scrap metal will be happy to take them. OTOH, they are not a particularly dangerous pollutant compared to the modern stuff. Melt it down for extra weights!

looks like a carry around unit. perhaps it was set down and ship roll put it over the side. if it were battrey alone i would suspect this was a disposal but not while it was in the carry container.

Back
Top Bottom