Lead Ammo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Divers drop lead all of the time.
Really?

I have twice, and recovered both. In addition I have over 100# of dive weights, in my dive locker recovered from various dive sites. A couple were shot weights, I don't use them as they make a mess from the lead that wears off as the shot moves around in the bag then leaches out.

I think it would be nice for our industry to maybe consider a different metal for ballast.

Well that would be good for the manufactures as you would need at about 30% more room to fit the steel weights. Now gold would help out a lot, you could save about 70% of your space for weight and it is nonreactive. Of course, at that point No one would drop their weightbelt.

Bob

Last edited:
Well that would be good for the manufactures as you would need at about 30% room to fit the steel weights. Now gold would help out a lot, you could save about 70% of your space for weight and it is nonreactive. Of course, at that point No one would drop their weightbelt.

Dive steel and then you don't need ballast. :)

With the wetsuit I wear, the steel tank just helps some and I use an old Faber MP 120. The only doubles I use are old school 72s so they don't help much either.

Bob
------------------
...needs to move to warmer water.

Last edited:

I wish - oh how I wish. I dive steel at home, use a 3mm suit with 3mm vest and a couple of polyolefin suits underneath with a soft backpack and harness and no floatation to drop as much lead as I can. I've gotten down to 8-10# in both cold fresh and warm salt water. I do 35 minutes at 3.5 mph on a treadmill 6 days a week, starve myself, and still can't lose any blubber. Liposuction???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom