LCHF or Ketogenic Diet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So this month is my two year anniversary and still going strong. There has been some changes in the low carb world over that time. There seems to be more keto options available, especially at the grocery store. Items that I use to have to order are now available at my beloved Costco or even, ugh, Walmart. Recipes are everywhere on the net, really good ones. Right or wrong, keto dessert options are plentiful.

On the down side, there is more confirmation that processed foods are bad. And this includes my bacon, not because of the fat but because of the processing. So it’s still a balancing act, fats/carbs/red meats/vegetables/fruits and processed food.

I have given up trying to stay low carb on dive trips, especially trips when I don’t have a kitchen. So those days I try not to get too crazy but just go with what’s available and convenient. I look forward to popcorn and bread those days but otherwise carbs no longer seem all that special.

I thought it was also a good time to run a lipid panel and the results were not exactly what I had hoped. Most all my family has dyslipidemia and takes statins. I knew it was in my future. Until my 50’s my numbers were very low but at around age 55 they started heading up. Indeed, my total was 189 last check. This time 219 but my HDL was also up so a bit of a wash. Will check again in 6 months or so.

TC of 219 means nothing re risk

look at LDL-P (particle count) and triglycerides

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom