LCD projectors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

partridge

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Dont know where else to ask this. Dont trust the marketing guys.

I am planning on putting in a Home theater using a LCD projector. There are just so many different kinds.

I hope somebody here knows about this stuff.

I do not know what resolution I need. I know bigger is better. There has to be some kind of calculator for this thing. Like if I will be 10 feet away from the screen ideal is so many.

I also know lumens is in the bigger is better category. But I will be using it in a dim room. Meaning just a lamp in the corner or something like that.

Do I really need to buy the screen for it? Will quality really be better or the same as a blank white wall?

Any thoughts from experts or users is appreciated.

Paul

Paul,

First of all LCD or DLP? Most affordable projectors being sold now are DLP.

As important as the light output(Lumens) is, the contrast ratio, i.e. how black the blacks are, is as important. Recent DLP technology is around 2000:1 there's also DLPII technology available that's 3000:1 or higher. For comparison a high-end CRT projector is 10000:1 or better.

I'd get a screen, it's less distracting. Most white painted walls are either too reflective(gloss paint) or reflect light unevenly. You can buy them reasonably on eBay if you're willing to stretch/mount it yourself.

Projector distance calculator:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator.cfm

PM if you have other questions, I may not check back on this thread.

As an actual A Vinstaller, I can vouch for everything mentioned above. I have a Yamaha LPX500 Projector at home, it was pretty much top of the tree in it's time (sounds old, but only about a year ago) I use it on a white wall, but that's because I'm renting and can't be bothered forking out for a screen (I'm a perfectionist when I buy things, so it woul dbe a really good screen) if the dimensions may change when I actually buy my own place.

The white wall is OK, with the Video Essentials DVD, you can set up a good picture that is quite watchable. Though, in the long run, I'd go with a good quality screen for best results, the difference really is quite distinct..

As a rough guide (very rough) you should be twice the width of the screen away. So at 10 feet, the screen would be roughly 5 feet wide. Though I'm sure 6 feet is ok. DOn't get too hung up on size though, you'll find a slightly smaller picture will look better as the physical pixel sizes will be smaller, giving a clearer looking pic.

You may want to check out the AVS forums http://www.avsforum.com/ and you'll find heaps of info there.

Z...

avsforum.com

best place to start, check out the $3500 and under category. Don't get too caught up over dlp/lcd. The technology has improved considerably over the past few years any recent release has improved on many of the key issues of the past. Personally, I prefer the look of DLP. Careful with what you buy though, a projector that is designed for office presentations is very different than one designed for home theater. As for brands I'd recommend infocus or optoma. If money is no object then there's a few more I'd include. The last 2 projectors I've setup are the screenplay 4800 and the 5700. Worth every penny. I've built my own screens using raw screen fabric and a canvas frame, I'm currently building a 107" frame for a screen with some dalite high contrast fabric which is on its way.

I'd welcome anyone to watch coral reef adventures in high definition on a 100" screen, you won't be dissapointed.

I have a NEC LT150 that I purchased about four years ago (Gawd, was it really that long ago?). Anyway, I still love it. It's DLP. There are much better now adays and for much less than I paid. My screen is home-made with blackout cloth purchased from walmart online. Much better than painted wall, but I did the wall thing for a long time and was very happy with that too. I may upgrade at some point, but this has been working for me for a long time.

Remember, you have to have a room where you can control the lighting... as in, you need to make it dark.

Have fun.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom