Layering Wetsuit, Is it a real option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ma999

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all i dive Sydney Australia.

It's cooling down for winter and the water can get as low a 13C but more realistically 15C.

I have been diving in 18C and have been pretty comfortable in my 7mm wetsuit but have started to really notice the cold on my head so I am looking to get a hood.

I thought I may as well layer up my chest at the same time and get a hooded vest/top as going dry is not an option to me.

Is layering up a realistic option and is it going to help enough to be noticeable.

From a purely cost perspective i'm looking at

Xcel "Thermoflex" Vest - 4/3mm | Adreno Scuba Diving Centre or
Xcel "PolyPro" Hooded Vest | Adreno Scuba Diving Centre

but am unsure do to the additional buoyancy.

I am also looking at lavacore or similar products instead as they are supposed to be neutrally buoyant. Is this a good/better option

I look forward to hearing from you as i want to keep diving through these winter months

I layer a 2mm shorty with a 5mm when it is actually cool enough for the drysuit in the water but surface temps are hot. More comfortable for me. Cool days and cool water? Dry all the way.

Layering will allow you to stay warmer. But it will add to how much lead you use. You will need to do a buoyancy check. But looking at your links for $25.00 I'd go for it! I prefer a separate hood but since you can get these I'd say it's worth a try. An attached hood will minimize water transfer in the suit and you will stay considerably warmer.

Out of curiosity, what do you consider cool on the surface?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom