Layering Wet Suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm new to diving so I'm gathering info before I start to purchase any gear. A few questions about wet suits:
  1. Are the charts that show neoprene thickness for a range of water temps reasonably accurate? I live in CT and will be diving off of the CT and RI coast. Some of the charts I have looked at would have me purchase a 3mm suit. For some reason, that thickness sounds too thin for that body of water if I'm diving into Sept., and maybe Oct.
  2. I notice that some people layer wet suits to increase the amount of insulation. If I wear an XL suit, would I go to a XXL shorty to wear over the suit, or will an XL fit?

Thanks

Ed

I highly doubt that a 3mm would suffice for CT anytime of the year. 5mm, most probably. My personal preference would be a farmer-john piece under the top section. A shorty does not allow much fluctuation in size...

Scott L:
This that mean that I should get a size larger for the shorty since it will be going over the full suit sometimes?

Ed

1. Are the charts that show neoprene thickness for a range of water temps reasonably accurate? I live in CT and will be diving off of the CT and RI coast. Some of the charts I have looked at would have me purchase a 3mm suit. For some reason, that thickness sounds too thin for that body of water if I'm diving into Sept., and maybe Oct.
  2. I notice that some people layer wet suits to increase the amount of insulation. If I wear an XL suit, would I go to a XXL shorty to wear over the suit, or will an XL fit?

Thanks

Ed

Everyone is different... For CT and RI, most people are diving 5-7mm suits. Some with hooded vests/overvests. I dive a 7mm with a 3mm core warmer (and hood) and I'm pretty good down to mid to high 40'sºF. Temps past the surface will be in the 50's and as low as the 40's depending on how deep you are. I'd only dive a full 3mm in a lake in the summer in NE and even then there are thermoclines that chill my bones.

If you are looking to layer, then a 3mm core warmer (good stretchy one) under a full single 5mm or 7mm will work if the suit seals well. Or purchase a complete suit w/overvest so you don't have to worry about different sizes because they're made for each other. You may feel like a giant rubber band in a 7mm with matching vest (usually only 5mm) or farmer john/shorty combo but when you're toasty warm and it's 45ºF @ 60', you'll be comfy and won't care.

If you buy a shorty to go over a different suit, you'll need to try it on to make sure it fits... different cuts, seams, types of neoprene, etc can make a difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom