Layang Layang or Seabreeze Resort (Bunaken)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Porpoise2

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can provide advice on the following dive sites - Layang Layang and Sulawesi (Seabreeze Resort - Bunaken). How is the diving there from late march to early April?

Thanks!

Porpoise

LL and Bunaken area are similar in that most of the diving is walls with generally good visibility. LL has Hammerheads in the deep at some times of the year - hit and miss - if you a willing to hang in the blue. Not many small critters at LL - a few more at Bunaken. Not familiar with Sea Breeze Resort. I have stayed at Tasik Ria and Santika. I liked Tasik Ria for the food and Santika for proximity to Bunaken.

DontLieToMe:
LL and Bunaken area are similar in that most of the diving is walls with generally good visibility. LL has Hammerheads in the deep at some times of the year - hit and miss - if you a willing to hang in the blue. Not many small critters at LL - a few more at Bunaken. Not familiar with Sea Breeze Resort. I have stayed at Tasik Ria and Santika. I liked Tasik Ria for the food and Santika for proximity to Bunaken.

That time of year is definitely right smack in the middle of hammerhead season in Layang Layang. Bunaken is a wonderful place to dive all year round but if you are travelling in March or April, I would have to go for Layang Layang.

Porpoise2:
I was wondering if anyone can provide advice on the following dive sites - Layang Layang and Sulawesi (Seabreeze Resort - Bunaken). How is the diving there from late march to early April?

Thanks!

Porpoise

Layang Layang is most popular in March and April exactly because it is hammerhead season then. You also see a lot of tuna, huge swirls of schooling jacks, and often mantas. And it's not just all pelagics at L2; there are masses of reef fish as well. It is true, though, that L2 is far from a macro-lover's idea of paradise. Bunaken is mostly drift dives along walls, but Lembeh Straits is also in North Sulawesi and is famed for its macro life. Just depends on what you want.

I've been to L2 twice recently, and thoroughly enjoyed each trip, but if a beach experience and great eating are important to you, you may be disappointed with L2. It's like a liveaboard on an atoll with no beach, no nightlife, and simple food on a steam table. Rooms are fine (3 star quality), and the palm-shaded pool is a welcome between-dive place to relax.

Back
Top Bottom