Layang Layang Island, Malaysia in Aug. 04

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yuko

Reaction score
Hi,

I just would like to share the nice diving spot with you all.
Guess some might have already read some thread about this Island, which is quite famous for school of Hammer Head Sharks from Apri through June.

Last time I dove there for 7 days in the mid of Aug.
The weather was not so bad: clowdy but water temprature was everyday around 29 degrees, visiblity roughly 30m.
A bit out of season in terms of Hammer, that I could only meet 1 for 2 times. What I saw was Napoleon, Turtles, Prawns, Lion Fishes (beautiful), Grey Reef Sharks, White tipped Sharks, Leafy fish, Nudybranches, etc...

Am always looking for the destination which gives me the relaxing feeling and offers a package for more than 3 boat dives a day.
LL suited well: since there is only 1 resort in this small island and most of the visitors are long stayer, you could make friends with them nicely. (In Aug., French were majority) I enjoyed beautiful 3 dives, some free shore dives and extra cost night dive.

When to Mabul previous year, which itself was wonderful!
Next time I will combine LL and Sipadan as many of the visitors did. Assume it must be wonderful... :dance:

Yuko

FYI: I do not have any special relation with Layang Layang Island Resort.

Hi

Glad that you liked that place but the local health authorities has issued a travel warning about travelling to LL since there are 5 navy men were admitted to the hospital after came into contact with 20 dead migratory birds over there. Suspected of bird flu.
Hence, they were advising visitors to avoid that island for a while until they can confirm that it's free from any avian flu.

Ong

parpy:
Hi

Glad that you liked that place but the local health authorities has issued a travel warning about travelling to LL since there are 5 navy men were admitted to the hospital after came into contact with 20 dead migratory birds over there. Suspected of bird flu.
Hence, they were advising visitors to avoid that island for a while until they can confirm that it's free from any avian flu.

Ong

You can find out more from http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/9/28/nation/8996417&sec=nation

parpy:

Hi,

I just heard today from my colleague that common friend of us working in Malaysia seems to have been infected by Dengue feever.
Was really wondering, but he seems to have meant the same as you: bird flue.
Our friends has had a high fever: approxmately 39.5degrees for consecutive 3 days, and he was detained in the hostipal more than 10 days.
Hopefully it will be better soon.

By the way, Resort wants be more effiient that it has decided to close 1 month earlier this year (normally it closes from Oct. 1st).
Heard from the dive master that still most of the visitors are looking only for best Hammer season that April through June are the highest season...! :fish:

Regards,
Yuko

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom