LAX Layover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got about a six or seven hour layover in LAX this December. I'm flying in on United, and out on Air Pacific, so I'll be flying out through the Tom Bradly International Terminal (TBIT).

I was thinking about paying for access to one of the premium lounges to kill the hours, but I'm having a devil of a time getting solid information on them as they have been completely rebuilt and just this month re-opened. Has anyone been through there recently and used these lounges? Can I buy a day-pass through any of them?

As usual, I'm very disappointed in the airline's and the airport's websites as they simply don't bother to present any of this information. The three major alliance websites don't say you can buy a day-pass, but I know for a fact that the lounge in Denver does let you buy them even though it's not spoken about on the website, so it must be individually managed.

If you happen to have an American Express Platinum Card, either business or personal, you may use it to enter several lounges, as long as you are traveling on their carrier. For example, if you are flying American Airlines and are an American Express Platinum Card holder, you may use the Admiral's Club ( AA Club) for free upon presentation of the card and ticket. Other clubs will let you buy a one day pass or use mileage to do the same. Safe travels

yea, what he said

I am blanking on the restaurant right next to LAX but it looks like an old control tower and is all neon...that is a fun place to hang out too.

Catherine, it's "The Encounter." It was closed for a while for repairs (I think a chunk of the exterior fell off, but it wasn't structural.) I think it recently reopened. It always makes me think of the Jetsons.

It always makes me think of the Jetsons.

lol..I was thinking the same thing!

W, do you just want to chill during your "surface interval," or would you consider going exploring? You could hit the Trader Joe's in Westchester to stock up on snacks, or head south and check out the new Whole Foods in El Segundo (there is even a wine bar in there) or Fry's (electronics/computer items) in Manhattan Beach. You could even stretch your legs on the pier...

Encounters. It is not in a secure area so you would need to go through security after spending time there. That is the bubbly spider place. Worth a trip. Different. Never heard that it was closed, but if it is open now then not a problem. I do remember it is in the early part of Bond's Diamonds are Forever in the background. Truely a landmark. Been there once and it wasn't nearly as crowded as the main concorse restraunts.

I'm not interested in traveling outside the airport. We are going to stay near LA on the way back for a few days anyway, and this will give us (hopefully) a much needed opportunity to get some work done on the laptop.

I'll check out the Encounters. That might work. The way my flight arrangements worked out I probably have to leave security, get my bags, and recheck in for the international leg anyway.

Back
Top Bottom