Laws on freshwater diving in MASS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSixString

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know what the laws are regarding diving in lakes around here are? Resevoirs are out (i think), but what about some of the "lakes" (Lake Cochituate, etc)?

Thanks

Scuba Six

If you are allowed to swim, you are allowed to dive. That is my understanding. Having dived in a couple lakes around here, though....there's no point. You're better off hitting Hathaway Pond on the cape where there is vis.

I think I'm going to give Houghton's pond a try soon... It's WAY more convenient for me than Hathaway's, and it's got a public swimming area.

MSilvia:
I think I'm going to give Houghton's pond a try soon... It's WAY more convenient for me than Hathaway's, and it's got a public swimming area.

Let me know if you want someone to help you check it out. I'm looking for something closer for training dives myself.

you can't dive in walden...i know that much.

lord1234:
you can't dive in walden...i know that much.

Well, that's what they tell you, but you can't dive at Old Garden after dark either according to the sign. Is there any *law* against it? Not at Old Garden. I don't know about Walden.

We did a dive in Cochictuate about ten years ago and it was nasty. We were doing a rescue class and we were feeling lazy and decided to try and do it locally. It was mid summer and at the surface the water was about 80 degrees, about twenty feet from the shore we were in at least 40ft (the flag line was just dangling in the blacknes )of black cold (A few numbing thermoclines) water. It really slopes off in a hurry. I'm not sure we were allowed to be diving there in the first place and I have never found a reason to go back. I do know that some of the FD Dive teams Ice dive there.

Paul

Soggy:
Let me know if you want someone to help you check it out. I'm looking for something closer for training dives myself.
I probably won't give it a try until spring, but I'll definately let you know.

MSilvia:

Bad news... I think.... According to what I can find, swimming is only allowed in the swimming area and it has these rules

Rules and Regulations
For your safety, please observe the following waterfront rules:
1. No swimming beyond or hanging on the lines.
2. No floatation devices.
3. No masks or snorkels.
4. No boating on Houghton's Pond.
5. No balls or frisbees on the beach.
6. No horses or pets on the beach at any time.
7. No fishing on the beach.
8. No grills or open fires.
9. No amplified sound.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/metroboston/houghtonsPond.htm

Numbers 2 and 3 kind screw up diving. Again, I'm not sure what the LAWS are but their RULES seem designed to kill our fun.

Massachussetts....water water everywhere and nowhere close to dive.... :(

pgdive:
We did a dive in Cochictuate about ten years ago and it was nasty. We were doing a rescue class and we were feeling lazy and decided to try and do it locally. It was mid summer and at the surface the water was about 80 degrees, about twenty feet from the shore we were in at least 40ft (the flag line was just dangling in the blacknes )of black cold (A few numbing thermoclines) water. It really slopes off in a hurry. I'm not sure we were allowed to be diving there in the first place and I have never found a reason to go back. I do know that some of the FD Dive teams Ice dive there.

Paul

Nasty dirty? Nasty cold? or nasty "i can't see my guages"? I think I can look out the windows of my office and see part of it. Dark and cold don't bother me so much. Water that's going to eat through my reg hoses does, however.

BTW, I've been in your shop a few times....you've got a great place there !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom