LavaCore info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I heard about this new LavaCore dive skin that you had in your booth at the DEMA show. Can you give us any info about it? When will it be available? If anyone attended the LavaCore seminars at the DEMA show, can you shed some light on exactly what it is supposed to do?

Thanks!

Hi Dive Maven,

In short; Lavacore is a new revolutionary fabric that has been design specifically for the watersports... The facric has changed peoples ideas and concepts on traditional uderwater thermal protection, and has become very popular within Australia and New Zealand divers.

Worn as a stand alone garment it offers similar protection to that of a 1.5 - 2mm neoprene wetsuit, and adds about 3mm equivalent when worn under any suit.

Lavacore offers many advantages over a traditional wetsuit, but not necessarily replacing a wetsuit. Depending on water temps, Lavacore means you can half the thickness of your wetsuit, and as its neutrally buoyant save on weight. It has increased movement as its extremely flexible, and you can also enjoy the luxury to wear it in any water temp by offering the versatility of layering.

Hope this helps.... there is more information on their webpage goto; w ww.lavacore.com.au

Thank you for the information. I noticed in the on-line catalog it mentions merino lining, is this a Pinnacle product? I thought Oceanic was representing it at DEMA?

Lavacore will be distributed in the USA by select Oceanic, AERIS and Hollis dealers. Merino is featured in a couple of surface-oriented (kayaking mostly) products in the catalog. We have an amazing variety of products coming in February - and much more to come based on what I've recently seen from our friends down under.

I'll chime in to say that I was lucky enough to grab one of the Lavacore suits right before a recent trip to the Great Barrier Reef. Great gear! It was like wearing a skin but getting some wetsuit-like thermal protection -- plus protection from the stingers, of course. The water wasn't cool enough for a wetsuit (by my estimation) but the thin skin that I normally use didn't quite keep me comfortable on longer and deeper dives. The Lavacore was perfect. To my way of thinking it's a whole new dimension in exposure suits. Great step forward.

Just purchased a long sleeve top from Scuba Schools and they have suits and all in stock. $95 for top $195 for full suit. Call 817 732 5761 they can ship out. LOVE IT!

I used a Lavacore full suit during 10 days in Roatan. LOVED IT.

I'm slightly confused.

I looked at the lavacore while in my dive shop and it seemed more akin to undies. They aren't form fitting right? Are they divable alone as just a skin in warm water? Do they actually provide any thermal protection while under with how loose they are? Or are they actually dry undies for a drysuit?

I have a Lavacore short sleeve shirt. Awesome product. I wear it under my wetsuit in the summer which adds further insulation to my core without adding to the bouyancy of my stealth wetsuit. In winter when I dive dry I use the same garment under my drysuit with a thin polar fleece over that. Keeps me toastie warm in 9 or 10 degree C water at depth.
I think if its loose on you Lenaxia you need to try different sizing! Definitely works as a second skin kind of garment whether wet or dry!

Lavacore sounds like the old Henderson Tri-lam suits that were neutrally buoyant and contained no neoprene. Due to a neoprene allergy, I am constantly searching for wetsuits that do not contain neoprene. If Lavacore doesn't contain neoprene it may be the solution.

Back
Top Bottom