Launching a Modular DIVE computer on Indiegogo.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaman1234

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All!

We are Team DIVEROID and design a modular DIVE computer that can used with Smartphone using low-power Bluetooth. It can turn your smartphone into a dive computer, logbook, camera and more.
We launched on Indiegogo yesterday and want to promote on your website.
Also we can offer special price only for ScubaBoard users!
Click the link below and get the secret Perk! (Additional 10% off from SUPER EARLY BIRD price)

Indiegogo : https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...ports/x/18359686?secret_perk_token=719e46ed#/
Official website : DIVEROID

BACK IT and Get More offers!

Last edited:
Bravo! I like the product. If I didn't already have a dive computer and camera, I'd SERIOUSLY consider this. Now, some feedback that is hopefully taken constructively. I know this is a new product, and you probably have features in the backlog already, but here it goes:

1. People's smart phones are extremely valuable, both in raw replacement cost, as well as emotional attachment. This will be a large hurdle to overcome, considering that many people don't trust underwater housings. I have a spare iPhone (just upgraded), and would use it for DIVEROID. I would not risk my primary phone, to me it is too valuable (both financially and emotionally). I would spend the money for separate hardware (camera/computer) rather than risk my primary iPhone. Possible mitigation for this issue: somehow build confidence in underwater housings?

2. A frugal shopper today can get a new dive computer for about $170. Show me features and capabilities in your app's dive computer mode that would meet or exceed those currently available. Yes, the larger screen and interface is AWESOME, especially with my older eyes. Anything else cool or special about the computer? New or different dive planning calculator? Maybe it can calculate your SAC or RVM, and then use that for dive planning?

3. Show us more about the dive log. The photo log scrolling looks very cool! Many of us use Subsurface, so maybe a data transfer feature could be useful (maybe share the cloud storage, automatically concatenating to existing data). I'd like to automatically capture the GPS coordinates of my dive site, and easily enter the name of the site/buddy/instructor and all the other data typically logged (again, see Subsurface GUI). I'm tired of writing that stuff down for later data entry.

4. Poor man's SOS: Many phones can make emergency calls, even if not subscribed to a local data plan. It would be really cool if you could trigger an automated emergency call that could share the GPS position. I know this would only work from the surface within range of a cell network, but might make rescue easier. I'm not sure I know how to find my GPS coords manually, even if I uncased and called 911 in the traditional way.

5. Battery life: You've got to share something about iPhone battery consumption, otherwise people will assume you're avoiding the subject.

6. Details! More details. The promotional video is awesome, but is promotional fluff. Show us a series of detailed instructional videos (maybe youtube) that demonstrate the usage of each feature and how it works. Set customer expectations so they know exactly what they are getting. I hate promo videos that are vague and I have to guess about how things might work, then find they work differently.

Cheers!!

Interesting concept. The Indiegogo link wants to "update" my browser, so I won't go there.

But it all seems to depend on the gadget connecting to the housed phone via BlueTooth, through the water. Just how far is Bluetooth expected to be able to go, through seawater? Considering that most phones (virtually or all of them) use weak Bluetooth with a 10-meter maximum range in open air? Has that part actually been proven to work yet?

Unless I'm mistaken, Weefine/Kraken smart housing, which is already on the market for ~$300, does the exact same thing - you put your smartphone inside, run an app, it connects to the housing via bluetooth and uses the pressure sensor on the housing to function as a dive computer.

I had thought my ancient Ikelite (the kind that used a headlight as the light source) had a robust waterproof seal on it. Then a while ago I dusted it off and found there was literally an x-ring seal around the stem of the power switch, which simply let go. Expectable after all the years, but still disappointing. Even Rolex authorized servic centers will tell you, they work on flooded Rolex diving watches all the time.

I'd put an older smartphone in such a case, not the one I use everyday.

Weefine/Kraken SmartCase

Which deco algorithm are you using?

*** Sorry I just saw RGBM Diveroid. I'll pass on that. No thanks.***

I really appreciate your interest :)

Bravo! I like the product. If I didn't already have a dive computer and camera, I'd SERIOUSLY consider this. Now, some feedback that is hopefully taken constructively. I know this is a new product, and you probably have features in the backlog already, but here it goes:

1. People's smart phones are extremely valuable, both in raw replacement cost, as well as emotional attachment. This will be a large hurdle to overcome, considering that many people don't trust underwater housings. I have a spare iPhone (just upgraded), and would use it for DIVEROID. I would not risk my primary phone, to me it is too valuable (both financially and emotionally). I would spend the money for separate hardware (camera/computer) rather than risk my primary iPhone. Possible mitigation for this issue: somehow build confidence in underwater housings?

- I totally agree with you. Smartphones are not just a electronic devices but it can be also seen as personal informations storage. Preventing leak is very important. However following the instructions below will prevent the leak problem for more than 99%.
- What makes the product waterproof is the O-Ring. Check the O-Ring whether there have dusts, hairs or sands. If there are, clean it!
- Apply the grease to the O-Ring. Grease makes the O-Ring tighter and stronger. It is very important.
- Test your housing at your first diving. According to the statistics, if the housing didn’t leak on the first try, it also didn’t leak at the following dives. And in the tests, the depth doesn’t matter. In our waterproof chamber test, we found a result that there is lots of chance of leakage if the housing leaks within 5M without smartphone.
- And one more tip. The newer phones are better. Because most of the phones which are released recently have water resistance features (not waterproof). But it helps a lot because the housing malfunction, it withstands the water pressure and keeps the phone alive.
- So remember to 1. Check the O-Ring 2. Apply grease. 3. Test at your first dive within 5M without the smartphone. 4. Use a phone which has water resistance features.

2. A frugal shopper today can get a new dive computer for about $170. Show me features and capabilities in your app's dive computer mode that would meet or exceed those currently available. Yes, the larger screen and interface is AWESOME, especially with my older eyes. Anything else cool or special about the computer? New or different dive planning calculator? Maybe it can calculate your SAC or RVM, and then use that for dive planning?

- All-in-One: This gadget is not just a replacement of a dive computer but it is a underwater camera, video recorder and digital log book. That means, you don’t need to carry those gears separately. Plus, combining the camera/video recorder and dive computer it has more values: digital log book which syncs up the pictures and dive profiles records how deep you went and what you saw there. It captures your memorable moments.

3. Show us more about the dive log. The photo log scrolling looks very cool! Many of us use Subsurface, so maybe a data transfer feature could be useful (maybe share the cloud storage, automatically concatenating to existing data). I'd like to automatically capture the GPS coordinates of my dive site, and easily enter the name of the site/buddy/instructor and all the other data typically logged (again, see Subsurface GUI). I'm tired of writing that stuff down for later data entry.

- You can find a sample log and photos by downloading our app ‘DIVEROID’ on Appstore / Google play store.

4. Poor man's SOS: Many phones can make emergency calls, even if not subscribed to a local data plan. It would be really cool if you could trigger an automated emergency call that could share the GPS position. I know this would only work from the surface within range of a cell network, but might make rescue easier. I'm not sure I know how to find my GPS coords manually, even if I uncased and called 911 in the traditional way.

- Yes. That is really good idea too and this feature is one of our top secret: It’s on the process of development :)

5. Battery life: You've got to share something about iPhone battery consumption, otherwise people will assume you're avoiding the subject.

- Battery consumption is very important .
- First, it is different by which smartphone you are using and how many photos/vidoes you have taken. But normally, you can use DIVEROID mini for 3-4 hours with 100% charging.
- And here is some tips to reduce the battery consumption:
- Turn of the Airplane mode
- Set the brightness to 50% or lower. It is enough because underwater is darker than the surface.
- If you were a heavy photo taker, bring a extra battery pack(power bank)to charge your phone when you are not diving.

6. Details! More details. The promotional video is awesome, but is promotional fluff. Show us a series of detailed instructional videos (maybe youtube) that demonstrate the usage of each feature and how it works. Set customer expectations so they know exactly what they are getting. I hate promo videos that are vague and I have to guess about how things might work, then find they work differently.

Here is our Youtube channel :
DIVEROID

Again, thanks for your interest :)
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions

Last edited:
Interesting concept. The Indiegogo link wants to "update" my browser, so I won't go there.

But it all seems to depend on the gadget connecting to the housed phone via BlueTooth, through the water. Just how far is Bluetooth expected to be able to go, through seawater? Considering that most phones (virtually or all of them) use weak Bluetooth with a 10-meter maximum range in open air? Has that part actually been proven to work yet?

I just changed the link to Indiegogo.
If it still doesn't work again, please contact me
support@diveroid.com

Thx :)

I really like it ! :thumb:
I would love to see wireless tank pressure transmitter integration with your system. I currently use Suunto D4i with Wireless Tank Pressure Transmitter. Perhaps support existing transmitters on the market ( suunto, aqualung etc) and/or develop your own. I wouldn't mind paying more for the product if it did. :happywave:
Looking forward to the release of the product.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom