Latex Allergy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HKGuns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Not sure whether to put this here or in the Medicine area. Figure more appropriate here.

- Bought new DUI Yukon 2 dry suit
- Tried it on twice
- Now have poison ivy like rash on both of my arms
- No know allergies

Is it possible I've lived this long and am allergic to latex and didn't know it? Is this consistent with anyone else who may have issues with latex experience? @Duke Dive Medicine

I've been trying to figure out where I may have gotten into poison ivy, when it hit me, duh, you just had your arms in that new Dry suit.

Looking for some validation before I blow even more money on replacement silicone wrist and neck seals.

Dependent on the suit type, you may be able to have a Neoprene Neck seal (and wrists), which I actually prefer.

My current suit has Silicon Wrist and Neck seals. Which would be a solution. Very few people have allergy issues with Silicon.
The only issue with Silicon is it doesn't glue very well. So both the next and wrist seal are 'quick change' fittings, Sitech on the neck - which some people have an issue with, and Kubis dry glove / fittings on the wrists.

DUI do do their own version of quick change wrist seals, I'm not sure about neck seals.

My back up suit is a DUI membrane. The last time the seals where changed I want'd neoprene. Despite being told this was OK, they had a problem with this, and i needed the suit back urgently, so they fitted Latex.

A lot of people have issues with Latex.
I look like I've been strangled after a few day s diving with latex neck seals.
Also, the salt water, latex, and movement tend to make things worse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom