Latest update on my videogear saga...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2000?? How about 2003? That's what I edit on with Premier, hopefully to be Premiere Pro in a couple of weeks.

One question for your Moogyboy, since you are a Mac guy, why in the world did you decide to buy a PC??? I remember the original Avid's that were Mac only and the Scitex Turbo Cube and they were great. I groaned when my vendor told me that Avid was moving to the Windows platform.

I may go back to a Mac laptop, now that I found that I can run two needed programs on a Mac under Virtual PC.

MikeC:
One question for your Moogyboy, since you are a Mac guy, why in the world did you decide to buy a PC??? I remember the original Avid's that were Mac only and the Scitex Turbo Cube and they were great. I groaned when my vendor told me that Avid was moving to the Windows platform.

I may go back to a Mac laptop, now that I found that I can run two needed programs on a Mac under Virtual PC.

Simply put, it's a matter of money and a softening of my virulently anti-PC stance.

1) I simply can't afford to stay in the Mac family any longer; my beige G3 Mac still works but it's arguably too outdated to upgrade to current standards (ie run OS X, have sufficient speed and memory, ability to run current software), and a sufficiently newer/faster one is out of my price range. A G5 is out of the question. I'm a long-time Mac zealot, but to stay one means that I either need to start making a lot more or be content with perpetually having last-generation technology on my desktop.

2) Meanwhile, I've used with newer versions of Windows at work and elsewhere...afaic MS has gotten its act together with Windows and as much as I loathe the company I don't see any practical reason to avoid Windows anymore. Besides, I can always run Linux as well.

3) Besides, I like the DIY approach to Intel/AMD based hardware a lot better than Apple's monolithic, proprietary approach. I like being able to build my own computer, the way I want to, and I can do it for a lot cheaper than having to fork over a large lump sum for a complete Mac.

Summary: I don't care what platform it is, if it does the job then it's okay by me. I don't have time or energy (or money) for infantile, arrogant partisanship anymore--I have things that I want to do. A wintel machine will probably do the job fine, and I can afford it. Macs probably do the job a lot better, but I can't afford them. I'll take wintel.

cheers

Billy S.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom