Latest Find - 6.2" perfect Meg tooth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of sharks teeth...when I was working in the Nuclear Power industry I was at a frisking station (a place you run a radiation meter over you to determine if you have become contaminated) when the guy behind me sets off the meter, really pegged it. The tech comes over and re-does the scan and right over his breast bone ges the hit. The guy takes off his shirt and there is a nice, black, fossilized sharks tooth on a chain. He takes it off and sure enough he passes the scan.

We took the tooth over to the chem lab and put it on a gamm spectrometer, the most perfect Radium spectrum you've ever seen comes up. Radium is in the Calcium chemical family, seems the tooth as it fossilized exchanged calcium for radium in whatever place it fossilized.

So...I guess the point of this is...you might want to get your collection checked out as it may be exposing you to some radiation...beleive me the body doesn't care if the radiation is man-made or comes completely from nature, it still takes the damage.

Mike

I'm so jealous I could spit!!! Beautiful tooth. I'm heading back to the Cooper in November, I can only hope to do half as well. I did find a few mint condition D-patent Coke bottles (1939 - 1953) and a stopper top medicine bottle last Sunday. Water was warm, current was slack, just a perfect dive!

That is beautiful!!! In some ways I wish that Megs were not extinct since it would be just amazing to see something so large.

That's a great find and nice tooth. I still get excited when I find a 2" tooth. Finding something that big would be a dream come true for me.

Awesome Tooth,
Here's an interesting basis for comparison:
A 20' Great white has teeth that are almost exactly 2". So your Meg was approximately 60'.

If they were'nt extinct, I'd have to reconsider diving....

Very nice tooth.

The coelacanth was extinct too (until, what, around 25 years ago?). The meg's only been gone for around 2 million years.

ReefGuy:
Very nice tooth.

The coelacanth was extinct too (until, what, around 25 years ago?). The meg's only been gone for around 2 million years.

I believe they found the first living one about 70 years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom