Latest dive conditions Morehead City

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Olympus Dive Center still has a few spot for Friday and Saturday. Had planned to dive those days but now concerned with recent reports of poor viz. Any updates? Thanks.

Olympus Dive Center still has a few spot for Friday and Saturday. Had planned to dive those days but now concerned with recent reports of poor viz. Any updates? Thanks.

Right from the Olympus dive center web page. Draw your own conclusions.

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEWPORT/MOREHEAD CITY NC
951 PM EDT TUE JUN 18 2013
FROM S OF CURRITUCK BEACH LIGHT TO N OF SURF CITY NC OUT 20 NM...
INCLUDING THE ALBEMARLE AND PAMLICO SOUNDS AND THE MONITOR NATIONAL
MARINE SANCTUARY
AMZ158-190915-
S OF CAPE LOOKOUT TO N OF SURF CITY NC OUT 20 NM-
951 PM EDT TUE JUN 18 2013

[SIZE=+1]SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]OVERNIGHT[/SIZE]
SW WINDS 15 TO 20 KT WITH GUSTS TO 25 KT. SEAS 3 TO 5
FT...BUILDING TO 4 TO 6 FT. DOMINANT PERIOD 5 SECONDS. TSTMS
LIKELY. SHOWERS LIKELY.

[SIZE=+1]WED[/SIZE]
W WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...BECOMING N 5 TO 10 KT IN THE AFTERNOON.
SEAS 5 TO 7 FT...EXCEPT 3 TO 5 FT NEAR SHORE. DOMINANT PERIOD
6 SECONDS. SHOWERS AND TSTMS LIKELY.

[SIZE=+1]WED NIGHT[/SIZE]
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. DOMINANT PERIOD
6 SECONDS. SCATTERED SHOWERS AND TSTMS.

[SIZE=+1]THU[/SIZE]
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. DOMINANT PERIOD
6 SECONDS. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND TSTMS.

[SIZE=+1]THU NIGHT THROUGH FRI[/SIZE]
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT.

[SIZE=+1]FRI NIGHT[/SIZE]
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT...DIMINISHING TO 5 TO 10 KT AFTER
MIDNIGHT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT.

[SIZE=+1]SAT[/SIZE]
E WINDS 5 TO 10 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT.

[SIZE=+1]SUN[/SIZE]
SE WINDS AROUND 5 KT...BECOMING S. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT.
WINDS AND SEAS HIGHER IN AND NEAR TSTMS.

It was snotty on the Dixie Arrow saturday with 10-15' of vis. The wrecks that sit closer to the gulf stream will be clearer. We had 50+ ft of vis on the Tarpon on our first dive before dropping onto the DA.

ymmv...............but I doubt it.

Thanks guys. I am not prone to seasickness so surface water conditions don't bother me (I've probably just cursed myself with the worse case of sickness my next boat trip :D). If the boat goes out I'm on it! Its the conditions below the waves that concern me and as you guys know, the reports lately have been dismal. I really want to go this week otherwise its mid to late July before my next chance but its just not worth it if the visibility is crappy.

Went out on the Olympus yesterday. Stayed inshore due to weather. Two dives on the Indra. Vis 15-20. Small craft advisory today. Waiting until 11 for decision to dive or not.

Went out on the Olympus yesterday. Stayed inshore due to weather. Two dives on the Indra. Vis 15-20. Small craft advisory today. Waiting until 11 for decision to dive or not.

That settles it. I know conditions can change overnight but given my luck they would just get worse. My last attempt to dive the coast, August of 2011, resulted it Hurricane Irene! Will keep my fingers crossed for July...

Looks like 2-3 foot seas Saturday and Sunday. Diving with Olympus on Saturday and Discovery on Sunday. Conditions don't get much better. Viz...now that's another story. Hoping for the best. Looking to hit that 200 dive mark on Sunday!

Looks like 2-3 foot seas Saturday and Sunday. Diving with Olympus on Saturday and Discovery on Sunday. Conditions don't get much better. Viz...now that's another story. Hoping for the best. Looking to hit that 200 dive mark on Sunday!

The reduced viz lead me to postpone until July :depressed:. Hope you have a great trip and early congrats on 200!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom