Last minute trip to Nassau! Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trigfunctions

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all - We are taking a last-minute trip Friday to Monday to Nassau/Paradise Island mainly because of $19 tickets each way from Fort Lauderdale. Planning to stay at Comfort Suites mainly to use Atlantis' facilities (waterslide through shark pool, etc).
Fairly experienced divers looking for user-friendly dive op or snorkeling opportunities.

Is there any decent snorkeling within walking distance of Comfort Suites/Atlantis? Could anyone comment on quality of snorkeling or general experience of trips to Rose Island, Blue Lagoon Island, Harbour Island, or any other island reasonably close? We categorize snorkeling off beach at Lauderdale-by-the-Sea as "decent" or sometimes really good!

Thanks!

Take your gear and do a couple of days at Stuart Cove's. I think there's a break on the cost if you do two dives in the AM + two dives in the PM and book the dives before you leave the US. It's a busy dive op but good quality for the most part.

They do pick you up at the hotel for free, but it's a longish drive in a small bus, and there's very little time to linger after the last dive is done, it's rush rush rush onto the return bus.

We rent a car (actually not that expensive) and just drive there. If we leave the hotel at the same time as the bus, we have time to stop at the Subway along the way and pick up lunch, and still get there before the bus, a good thing because the check-in office isn't crowded. And after the dives are done, you can relax, take a shower with your gear, and usually get back to the hotel before the bus, too.

Have fun!

All the best, James

Thanks for the info fdog. Does anyone have good ideas for snorkeling in Nassau or the nearby islands?

Be careful... they drive on the wrong side of the road over there :D

So that's why there's always a swath of destruction behind us! Who'd have thunk it.

All the best, James

I agree with fdog. The ride to Stuart Cove's is nice and you get to see alot of the island. Worth it!

Snorkeling is great in Nassau, too. The southwest part of the island is shallow and good for diving and snorkeling, especially " Dolphin Pen " if they still call that site by that name. It's been a while. Call Stuart Cove.

I went in the beginning of April. I was snorkeling off of the beach to the West of the Caves Resort. It's a ways from Nassau though (around 10 miles). I would also recommend Stuart Cove. I did a 6 day dive package with them and had a blast. I saw some of the places they took the snorkel boats to and they were very nice areas.
Have fun!

Brian

Hi all - We are taking a last-minute trip Friday to Monday to Nassau/Paradise Island mainly because of $19 tickets each way from Fort Lauderdale.

Spirit Air I take it... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom