last day of the month dive...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Just one from today's dive as I haven't looked through them properly yet. Had a student with me so didn't get a lot of "me" time...first time in ages and it was VERY frustrating for me!

This little guy was zipping all over the place around us - searching for yummy treats. From my first run through, this is my favourite shot of him.

Olive sea snake - juvenile...yes, very poisonous but so sweet and curious - I love 'em!

Big shovelnosed ray. Lots of sand being kicked up. Could have gotten really close if I wasn't trying to get three other divers in for a good look,too! He was very cooperative and sat still for a good five minutes and then slowly sauntered off. Awesome.

The snake is a cutie :D so, poisonous...but sweet and curious? gotta explaine that one to me...

justleesa:
The snake is a cutie :D so, poisonous...but sweet and curious? gotta explaine that one to me...

They can be really curious - coming up under your bc, arm, leg, hair etc. If you don't like them all you have to do is ascend a couple of feet from them and they get the message. This one was tapping my arm before I noticed him...I thought it was my student trying to get my attention!

They'll often stick with you for a long time on a dive - poking their heads at whatever you are trying to take a photo of...can be very annoying! You gotta know which snakes like people and which don't...we get a nasty banded one here that will shoot off the bottom and chase you if you are withing 5 - 8 m of it. Very naughty. I don't like those.

alcina:
They can be really curious - coming up under your bc, arm, leg, hair etc. If you don't like them all you have to do is ascend a couple of feet from them and they get the message. This one was tapping my arm before I noticed him...I thought it was my student trying to get my attention!

They'll often stick with you for a long time on a dive - poking their heads at whatever you are trying to take a photo of...can be very annoying! You gotta know which snakes like people and which don't...we get a nasty banded one here that will shoot off the bottom and chase you if you are withing 5 - 8 m of it. Very naughty. I don't like those.
and you don't have to be afraid of being bitten?

Alcina, I saw a few in the Philippines and can attest to the fact that they are curious. I read that they have really dull and small fangs and have to chew on something to deliver their poison. Still, I avoided them when they got too close. You've got some guts to let them so close!

marpacifica:
Alcina, I saw a few in the Philippines and can attest to the fact that they are curious. I read that they have really dull and small fangs and have to chew on something to deliver their poison. Still, I avoided them when they got too close. You've got some guts to let them so close!

This is true they only have fangs which are small and far back in the mouth. Hence unless they decide to knaw on your ear lobes or the webbing between your fingers they are quite safe to handle.

JRO:
Great shots! Is that sand on the snakes head?
Yup, lots of sand...part from other divers kicking it all up but also part from the snake grubbing around under the ledges looking for treats...

Back
Top Bottom