Laser Pointer Suggestions Sought

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fred3798

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I would like to carry a low intensity laser (<5mw) pointer. I have seen a few DMs carry them to help with pointing out small items and enticing critters to follow the light. No pointing in critters' eyes, I know. Some basic web-surfing suggests that brands advertised as "waterproof" may not really be well sealed even at no-decompression depths. Does anyone have experience with a reliable (to 30 - 40 m) and affordable brand? thanks.:cool2:

I would like to carry a low intensity laser (<5mw) pointer. I have seen a few DMs carry them to help with pointing out small items and enticing critters to follow the light. No pointing in critters' eyes, I know. Some basic web-surfing suggests that brands advertised as "waterproof" may not really be well sealed even at no-decompression depths. Does anyone have experience with a reliable (to 30 - 40 m) and affordable brand? thanks.:cool2:

I did a lot of digging and everything I read said that a red beam is tough to spot in the water. I forgot the brand, but I found a green laser...it was fantastic. I ended up giving it to dive guide in Mexico as a tip...we nick named him the green lantern.

agree about red being hard to see, I used to have a red one and it wasn't very useful.

Please do not point at the fish. It is rude.
If you MUST point, please use your finger.
If you are concerned that your finger may become fish food, please keep your fingers in your pocket.

I have used scaling lasers that are extremely reliable at depths far exceeding diving depths (mounted on an ROV). Unfortunately, the cost was about $3k. For shallower depths I have a pair of Innovative red lasers that I can mount to my camera housing. Parallel lasers are used to provide a constant distance between the lasers to allow for subsequent measurements and density calculations. Red (650 nm) is used because most fish cannot see it. Since the scaling lasers are used within a couple meters from the bottom, the attenuation of red at depth is acceptable.

If you want a more powerful laser that you see better and torment sea life, Innovative makes a green (532 nm) laser. Unlike red lasers, where you can only see the red dot most of the time, you can see the entire beam when using a green laser.

Back
Top Bottom