Largest flooded cave system in the world discovered at Tulum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just saw this yesterday. It's cool, of course, but also kinda bittersweet, being that "Dos Ojos" got absorbed and (in a sense) no longer exists. We used to run cavern tours in Dos Ojos from our shop in Cozumel back in the early 2000's, so I had a special affinity for it (not that it really matters, but I'd have rathered the absorbtion been the other way around,LOL!).
Me and one of my best buds used to try the same thing on Cozumel, attempting to mate one system (Aerolito,next to caletta) up with another (Que Brada, near Chankanaab).
Once you go a little ways north out of the cavern, it does a U-turn (if you follow the right path) and starts heading almost straight south, towards Chankanaab. There were others trying to do this, one of them being renowned caver Jeff Bozanic (who I believe penned a chapter in the NSS-CDS Cave Diving Manual). We ran into he and his team a couple times coming and going at the cenote.
We never did make the connection, not sure if anyone ever did. We'd even staged tanks overnight a couple times, and almost always were running 3-4 120cu-ft tanks, and we went a LONG ways back, hoping to stumble across a line someone ran in Que Brada, but no joy.

Very interesting...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom