Large domes: Hugyfot or Seacam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello there.

I own a Hugyfot housing for Canon 5DIV and I'm trying to decide which large dome port to use.
I'm between the Hugyfot 9" glass and the Seacam 240mm glass Superdome (+adapter).

I have no previous experience but I've heard that Seacam use to have the best domes in the market.
The lenses I intend to use will be: Canon 16-35 f2.8 L iii and Sigma 14mm f1.8 ART (also the Sigma 20mm probably).

Any thoughts or alternatives (like Zen or whatever) will be highly appreciated.

Thanx

Alex Mustard uses Zen, that’s enough for me to chose Zen

How is enough for you Chris what a famous photographer uses? He probably has a sponsorship contract as almost every pro of his class has.
Any other answer?

Hello there.

I own a Hugyfot housing for Canon 5DIV and I'm trying to decide which large dome port to use.
I'm between the Hugyfot 9" glass and the Seacam 240mm glass Superdome (+adapter).

I have no previous experience but I've heard that Seacam use to have the best domes in the market.
The lenses I intend to use will be: Canon 16-35 f2.8 L iii and Sigma 14mm f1.8 ART (also the Sigma 20mm probably).

Any thoughts or alternatives (like Zen or whatever) will be highly appreciated.

Thanx

I'm in a similar situation at the moment. I use a Sony A7rIII with a Nauticam housing, but like yourself I'm also using a 16-35 f2.8 and also own an EF mount Sigma 14mm f1.8 which I use topside for astrophotography and landscape. From Nauticam's most recent chart port, they could use the same extension and dome.

Now, I've been trying to find a review on the 14mm being used underwater but for the life of me can't find anything. From what I've read so far, both focal distances would benefit with a larger dome such as the 230mm in terms of corner sharpness, but that, as we all know, is a very expensive route. I, for one, have been eyeing the Zen dome just because it's like 400 bucks cheaper than the Nauticam.

Did you eventually find any info online that might be useful?

Thanks

I have a Zen I got used for a good price that I like a lot. I started with a Nauticam Poly dome but that got scratched really easily. Glass, regardless of brand, is the way to go particularly for underwater balancing of the system. I shoot an 8-15 and 16-35 f4 through it which means different extensions but that is no big deal.

Back
Top Bottom