Laptop onboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captboob

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've replaced my Garmin map with an Itronix GoBook III from an ebay purchase. It works just great with Seaclear software and NOAA charts which are both free from the NOAA site. My question...Is there an economical sounder that can be interfaced to display on a laptop? I've found 1 for 900.00 plus a couple hundred dollar transducer but thats out of my budget right now. I'm willing to spend a couple maybe a few but spending over a G and supplying the display is not the answer I am looking for. The Laptop has a Centrino m at 1.8ghz with 2g ram, 40g and cd/dvd...SPLASH proof!!! I'm lovin'y display and want to use it for everything. I paid under 400.00 for it. I could pass along my source if anyone is interested. Back to my sounder / sonar question...If anyone has an idea please pass it on.
Capt Bob

I would call Airmar. Im sure you are familiar with them but if not they supply all of my transducers for my boats. Im sure they can come up with a cost conscious solution for you. airmartechnology Dot Com

Also check out this blog about marine electronics. this guy has definitely done what you are talking about and im sure he can walk you through it. panbo Dot Com

For some reason i cant post links so you will have to retype them.

Good Luck
Panga Man

From there contact page:

Airmar does not sell transducers and spare parts to electronics dealers, installers, and end users. You must either contact our two subsidiaries, your electronics manufacturer, or local installing dealer:
Gemeco Marine Accessories is Airmar’s distributor that services all marine electronics dealers in the USA and Canada.
Their contact information is phone: 843 210 7000.
Airmar EMEA services all marine electronics dealers and distributors in Europe and the rest of the world.
Their contact information is phone: 33 (0)2 23 52 06 48
If you have questions regarding your fish finder or instruments, please contact the manufacturer of your electronics.
Please check our Frequently Asked Questions page before calling or emailing airmar. There are hundreds of questions and answers that are updated weekly regarding transducers.
If you are looking for information regarding compatible transducers with your electronics, a complete list is available in our cross reference guide
Airmar can only answer technical and sales questions about transducers. If you have specific questions regarding your transducer, please provide the part number that is noted on the white cable label tag located near the connector. Please advise the manufacturer and model of your fish finder/instrument also. For example, all of our part numbers are eight digits (example31-256-1-01). This will help expedite the reply.
Airmar's contact information is phone: 603 673 9570

AIRMAR Technology Corporation is located at 35 MEADOWBROOK DRIVE, M

I have upgraded and thoroughly tested PolarView and PolarCom from Polar Navy. This program uses ENC and RNC charts which are free from NOAA. The author of this software responds to questions daily. The price.....he's practically giving it away. Check it out. This is not an ad for him just a report of what I am using for my onboard laptop. I'll let you surf to find it :)

Back
Top Bottom