Laptop Computer for a Sailor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juls64

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Calling all Computer geeks, I need your help please!

My son will PIR from Navy Boot Camp on Sept. 2. He already knows he wants a laptop computer. He wants us to shop for it during liberty (if I don't order him one online sooner) then for me to bring it home and get it all set up for him with all his IPOD software, music, etc. He will then have me send it to him whenever he is allowed to have it. None of that is a problem. I am excited about that. Here is what I need help with.....

I am PC saavy and can figure out most anything, but I have not used a laptop. I am confused on the wireless internet capability part, and want to make sure I get everything he needs so it will work, wherever he might need it. It's a Navy thing! What are particular things I need to get or look for, so it will be a good set up for a sailor?

I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks,

Julie

Well, I can add my 2 cents worth from an Army perspective. The first thing I would do is to check out Consumer Reports to see which ones provide the most bang for the buck. The next feature I would check for is durability as it has the potential for spending a lot of time on a ship (around salt water) where your son may have to share quarters with someone. I can recall an article not too long ago that reviewed/tested laptops for durability. If your son wants a PC, Alienware makes great computers (designed for gaming) as he will probably spend quite a bit of his free time at sea playing on his computer. I am a fan of Macintosh myself as the new operating system is easier to use than windows and if you have to reformat your computer, you don't lose any of your user data (which is important if he has a lot of songs). Macs come with a great software bundle as well so if he has a digital camera, he can make videos and add music to them from iTunes then compress the file to a size that can be emailed and share what he is doing with you that way (it uses Apple Quicktime). Mac sales pitch over, I would ask your son what he wants to do with a computer then do your research with that in mind. I know several people who have Alienware computers are love them as they are very reliable. Just a thought and some insight.

I can agree with a lot of what 2Tours said. I personally don't use macs, but I know they are better for things like image and photo editing. Also, I think they are getting better at allowing you to customize the hardware inside them (at least for desktops), and that is the main reason I stay away from them. If I actually had to purchase a laptop of my own, I would give serious consideration to a mac.

With that said, and since my company provides my laptops for me, I can tell you that the Panasonic Toughbooks are good and rugid. Since you son will be on a ship, where things tend to get bounced about and kicked around, you might want to look at them. I have a CF-29 and it gets tossed a round a lot and is constantly collecting sand, and I have had no problems with it yet. It has wireless built right into the body, and all of the external connection are enviornmently sealed when not in use.

I know Alienware makes some killer gaming desktops, and I would imagine there laptops are just as good.

On a terminolgy note, don't let any salesman sell you on Intel Centrino Technology. Its just a marketing ploy by Intel to get unknowledgable shoppers to by more of there propierty products. (and that's coming from the geek in me, not the AMD shareholder).

Also, you would want at least B & G wireless. Those are the two most common standards being use around the world today.

Good Luck.

Juls64:
Calling all Computer geeks, I need your help please!

My son will PIR from Navy Boot Camp on Sept. 2. He already knows he wants a laptop computer. He wants us to shop for it during liberty (if I don't order him one online sooner) then for me to bring it home and get it all set up for him with all his IPOD software, music, etc. He will then have me send it to him whenever he is allowed to have it. None of that is a problem. I am excited about that. Here is what I need help with.....

I am PC saavy and can figure out most anything, but I have not used a laptop. I am confused on the wireless internet capability part, and want to make sure I get everything he needs so it will work, wherever he might need it. It's a Navy thing! What are particular things I need to get or look for, so it will be a good set up for a sailor?

I'd appreciate any input!

Thanks,

Julie
From what I've read briefly - Googled U.S. Navy Wireless Standards -there seems to have been a program in place since 2003 to outfit Navy ships with 802.11B wireless access points. I assume that this has since been supplemented by 802.11G since that's the current standard. In case they're behind the times, which typically happens in a government procurement lifecycle, 802.11G is backwardly compatible with 802.11B.

I don't speak military so I'm not able to determine if the program is for official usage only or if anyone on-board can access the network. The biggest limiting factor is probably going to be range on a ship since they're mostly steel. Normal wireless 802.11G is good to about 2-300' on a good day without special antennas so I'd get a really good (sub $100) external network card for whatever laptop you buy. Most of them will be PCMCIA based and some of them even have little pop-up antennas to increase the range.

I like the previous suggestion of a Panasonic Toughbook, they have a magnesium alloy case - instead of plastic and the hard drive is shockmounted as well. Or look at any laptops designed to be used by "road warriors" - business people who travel a lot. Mobile Computing or Mobile PC does an annual torture test to determine which laptops can take the most abuse, dropping etc.

I have a mac laptop that has been to the sand box twice and worked perfectly!!! The wireless card is built in and I would also suggest a bluetooth also built in when or if ordering it. I have played games, watched movies, and gotten all my work done. I don't leave home without it. The ease of use with an ipod or any digital camera is unbelievable. As for the wireless capabilities, it is all automatic, as soon as I turn on the computer it detects the wireless signal and sets it up for you. As they say.... Once you go MAC you'll never go back. I couldn't live without it.

MLE:
As they say.... Once you go MAC you'll never go back. I couldn't live without it.
Ditto. I was a die hard PC fan for years and years...until my brother bought a Mac and he let me use it. I will never buy a PC again.

I'd check out Dell's site they have good deals on laptops, I don't know the standard for wireless connection on the ship for personal use, I work as a defense contractor for the Air National Guard, and wireless connectivity is a big :58: , but the wireless network card will automatically detect any wireless connections. Get as much laptop as you can afford, ie: as large of a hardrive, and as much memory as you can afford, saves on upgrades later on.

Alienware computers are really awesome, but also come with an awesome price tag :)

Mac is nice, but software is some what limited, compared to Windows, I prefer Linux but that's awhole different can of worms.

just my 02¢, good luck with your choice of laptops.

Mike

sjspeck:
I don't speak military so I'm not able to determine if the program is for official usage only or if anyone on-board can access the network. The biggest limiting factor is probably going to be range on a ship since they're mostly steel. Normal wireless 802.11G is good to about 2-300' on a good day without special antennas so I'd get a really good (sub $100) external network card for whatever laptop you buy. Most of them will be PCMCIA based and some of them even have little pop-up antennas to increase the range.

All of the networks are for official use only. A personal user is not allowed to hook in with personal equipment. (Fear of introducing viruses or other malicious software.) The only way to get on the internet is to use a government computer that is already attached.

Heck, the last two boats I was on didn't even want PC's onboard. It was felt it would interfere with getting work done and creates problems when one comes up missing. As a result all kinds of paperwork had to be done just for permission.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom