Laparoscopy recovery and diving again timeline

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoFrances

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am undergoing laparoscopy surgery to remove an ovary on 2-27 and trying to decide if I can book a trip 3-30, 4 weeks later to go on a dive vacation to Cozumel. Single tank drift dives. Wondering if my stomach muscles will be healed enough. Any advice? I am awaiting a response from my Doctor but would appreciate any other feedback.

Thank you,
Jo Frances

Hi! I would definitely call DAN. I am sure they have the experience and medical knowledge about diving and laparoscopic procedures to be able to advise you. You can probably get an immediate answer. Good luck!

I'd say yes, you'll be good to go. I've had laparoscopic surgery, but it was 20 years ago. I remember them saying you can't drive for the first week because if you have to hit the brakes it will hurt like heck, causing you to release the brakes and that's not good. But I think they said two weeks would be enough (again, 20 years ago).

A lot will depend on how well you heal. Are you a smoker? How old are you? Do you naturally heal quickly or does your body need some extra time? Let us know what the doc says though. Always a good idea to call DAN too.

I had a lap appendectomy about three years ago. One of the advantages of a lap surgery is that the healing time is way faster because they only punch a few small holes in you (I had three, my wife had five with her lap choly a few months later) instead of a big open slash through all your layers of skin, fat, and most importantly, muscle. Have you talked with your surgical team about how the procedure will be done? Most laps end up pulling the organ out through a small incision just below the navel, but considering where yours is, there's a chance it may actually be coming out a little lower down, from a more, shall we say, internal exit point, which will actually speed your healing even further because it avoids the abdominal wall.

The biggest concern is going to be lifting restrictions, but there may also be some very small chance of an increased DCS risk due to the healing and scar tissue. Your surgical team can help answer questions about the former (I was limited to no more than 5 lbs for a week, then 10 lbs for the next week, then back to full power) and DAN or possibly @Duke Dive Medicine can help with the latter.

Not medical advice, but I dove 6 weeks after that surgery last summer (without clearance from my surgeon because he likely would have said no) and felt like it might have been a little too soon for all of that tank and weight lifting (diving cool water in 7mm, not tropical), but it didn't seem to hurt anything. I would really be surprised if the doctor cleared you to dive after 4 weeks...but again, like @Kimela mentioned above, there are many factors that go into how fast you will heal.

I am undergoing laparoscopy surgery to remove an ovary on 2-27 and trying to decide if I can book a trip 3-30, 4 weeks later to go on a dive vacation to Cozumel. Single tank drift dives. Wondering if my stomach muscles will be healed enough. Any advice? I am awaiting a response from my Doctor but would appreciate any other feedback.

Thank you,
Jo Frances

In your case there's nothing about diving that's different from any other activity that makes extensive use of core muscles. Abdominal muscles do take time to heal; the typical recommendation I've heard is six weeks, but if your surgeon says you're clear for full activity (including exercising abdominal muscles) after four weeks then you should be fine to dive. I wouldn't chance it if the surgeon has any concerns.

Best regards,
DDM

I know from 1 diver just 8 days and he was diving again. Gall removal. So it depends from person to person. So I guess, your mentioned month will be enough.

Thiñk it over carefully. My surgeon started with the laparoscopic surgery but due to what he found once in, he had to switch to a standard surgery. There's no way that I could have dived before 6 weeks under those circumstances.

For your sake, I hope that your lap goes much more smoothly whether you go on your dive trip or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom