Landed in Phuket - Need Some Advice on Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeterB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi There,

I arrived in Patong a couple of days ago and I'll be here for three weeks. Looking for some advice on dive shops and live aboards in/around Phuket.

I have some experience diving (about 30 dives, but as well as OW, AOW, S&R and Nitrox I've also taken Rescue Diver). Most of my diving was a year ago in Sydney although I did a couple of dives off the Florida keys in March. Nada since then.

Just before leaving Sydney I got a DIR setup (long primary hose, Hlacyon wing, etc.) and have brought the kit with me to Thailand.

I'd really like to do a check dive with someone comfortable with DIR rigs as I haven't got it wet for a while. Then I'm looking to fit in one or two day trips and then in a couple of weeks a 3-4 day Similan liveaboard.

Could anyone recommend a dive shop (or a short list) in Patong that (a) are decent/reputable, and *ideally* dive with DIR/Hogarthian rigs or know something about them? Not looking for a "my dive centers better than your one", but I don't just want to walk down the street and happen upon a place that doesn't have a clue!

Any thoughts/advice/input much appreciated!

When I went to Thailand in 2005, I dove with Sea-Bees Kata (stevenl is a member on SB). I wasn't diving with a DIR rig then, so I can't say how they are with that set-up. I did a dive off Kata Beach in the 30-35' range. They are arranged a 3 day liveaboard to the Similans for me. I believe stevenl has a new dive shop or at least website of phuket-scuba.com. I had no issues with their dive shop or dive guides. I'm sure others will have more recommendations that are more recent than mine. The thing I remember is that they are very close to Kata beach so it makes it easy for the beach dives.

Enjoy Phuket, it is beautiful.

Peter, I've sent you a PM with the name of a very good tech instructor you can phone for advice. Check your ScubaBoard inbox!

Thanks Teq for the recommendation.

I have done some TEC diving myself, so am familiar with the equipment and the diving. But I am by no means an instructor in that field.
If you give me a call or pass by the DC, we can talk about what you're looking for. If I can not help you myself, I can surely point you in the right direction.

Go to Sea Fun Divers on Phuket they excellent!

seafundivers.com

They can also refer you to an excellent Liveaboard operation going to the Similan Islands.

Katathani Beach Resort
14 Kata Noi Road - Kata Noi Beach
83100 Phuket, Thailand
t: +66(0)76 330 124 ext. 1915
f: +66(0)76 284 402

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom