Land testing Buddy Phone

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paperdesk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

I just purchased two used OTS Guardian masks with D2 Buddy Phones and hot mics. I have been trying to test the buddy phones, but having trouble getting them to work properly. I don't know if it's a possible issue with dry testing?

To start testing I activated them at the same time, set them to the same channel, and used the PTT button on one to transmit. I find that one unit will produce static but neither seem to receive a clear transmission or anything that is recognizable as voice. I have the units about 5-6 feet apart during testing. Both are set to high volume. I do know that they automatically turn off after one minute.

I'm not sure if I might be doing something wrong, or if it's more likely that there is an equipment malfunction. Any advice or suggestions?

Ted

http://www-oceantechnologysystems.c...ploads/2011/07/Buddy-Phone-2-Channel-revB.pdf

GENERAL OPERATING GUIDELINES Pre-Dive Check: To verify that the Buddy Phone is operating correctly, a test known as the air test can be performed. The Buddy Phone can transmit a short distance of 3 meters or more in air. Divers may perform a pre-dive check of the system by moistening their fingers and placing them across the two sensing screws located on the front of the Buddy Phone. Once activated, the unit will remain active for approximately one minute. While the units are activated, press the push-to-talk switch and speak while your buddy listens; then reverse the procedure (all units being tested must be on).

Thank you for the link. I guess I should have mentioned that I have read the instructions, and they did not solve the issue.

Back
Top Bottom