Laminectomy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

I will be having a micro-laminectomy in a few weeks. Part of a bone with a spur will be removed and a bulging disc trimmed. Any thoughts on whether this will limit my diving after normal recovery?

It is possible, I am need a fusion to correct the bulging disc (which is also thinning). Thoughts on diving afterwards - beyond actual recovery?

Just as an FYI the issue is at S5-L1 (the point between sacrum and lumbar spine).

Cheers,

Steve

If you can perform the physical requirements after healing, you're good to go. If pain reoccurs, it might be confused with DCS pain. Sites of prior surgery may predispose to DCS if altered circulation from scar tissue occurs so dive conservatively helps.

For what its worth: I had a laminectomy about 20 years ago; back then it was still done with an incision, about 4 inches long, L4-L5. I wasnt diving back then, but my recovery was pretty speedy and I now only rarely feel discomfort. In other words it has been possible for me to do vitually everything I choose, including learn to dive.
I wish you a quick recovery and a fast return to diving!

I've had L4 and L5 done. All conditions normal. Relax and recover.

Just FYI, a new fusion technology and procedure was recently approved by the FDA AxialIF overview It's worth reading the "Risks" section at the bottom of the link.

It looks promising but I've no experience with it nor personally know of anyone who has performed it yet. There's a doctor-finder under the "For Patients" tab on the main home page

Back
Top Bottom