Lake Washington PB4Y-2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Lake Washington is one of the Puget Sound region's wreck diving hot spots partially due to the Naval Air Station which existed at Sand Point (now Magnusen Park and a NOAA facility). There are numerous aircraft in the lake, mostly in technical depths. One of the more significant ones is PB4Y number 59695, which was a naval version of a B24. This PB4Y gently crashed in 1956 after accidentally conducting a no-flap take off. The navy salvaged her but broke a shackle while she was on the surface again. This broke off her 2 inboard engines and she sank back into 150ffw. At that point the navy abandoned salvage operations, although they still own the plane and salvage is prohibited.

She's been dove for many years by boat. During the winter of 2008, Ben McGeever and James Novares laid a line to her from shore and since that time she's been seasonally divable from shore. The entry is very close to a boat ramp and with summer boat traffic most divers wisely avoid scootering her from shore in the summertime.

The PB4Y was my first deco dive ever in 2005 (a GUE Tech1 experience dive), my first scooter dive ever in 2008 (borrowing prototype X-scooter number 000 aka "the silver bullet"), and now I've done her as an after work (deco) dive.

She's taken a few hits over the past 5+ years. There are a few more holes in the elevators (which are thin fabric) from poor anchoring/shot line practices (I use 6lbs of soft ankle weights). The port side outboard engine has fallen off its mounts and is laying prop down in the silt now. There's a line attached one of the 50cal guns on the nose which should probably be removed and/or rerouted.

She's in 150ffw, as you can see vis is generally poor, its silty. We use 21/35 trimix and EAN50 for this dive. The initial picture in the video is not this actual plane, I cannot find a pic of this plane in her native 1956 condition. The picture is one of her 738 sister planes. The most significant difference is that PB4Y 59695 has no top gun turrets, the port and starboard tail blister guns were removed by 1956, and as mentioned the inboard engines broke off in the salvage attempt. She's still a huge aircraft, originally having 11 crew, with a length of 75ft and a wingspan of 110ft.

Several PB4Ys are modified and still flying as forest fire fighting tankers. There are also a few in various states of restoration to WW2 fighting specifications.

My video is done with a CSI scooter cam which is basically a point of view camera on my scooter, a bit hard to hand-hold and lighting for it is challenging. Nevertheless I think this video turned out pretty well. The music is the 1990s LA grunge band, Social Distortion. "Ball & Chain" made me imagine having to man the gun turrets for hours and hours.
PB4Y-2 on Vimeo

Last edited:
totally off topic, but i saw social d in raleigh years ago...love 'bad luck'.

Richard, if you scooter this from shore, how much bottom time do you end up getting on the wreck? (IOW, how much deco do you rack up just from getting there and back?)

Kirk's trying to talk me and Peter into doing this one of these days :)

Richard, if you scooter this from shore, how much bottom time do you end up getting on the wreck? (IOW, how much deco do you rack up just from getting there and back?)

PB4y-shore.jpg

We spent a little longer than absolutely necessary getting there on the way out (some snags in the line, and it was one of my first scooter dives ...)

We used stages, but I stupidly lost quite a bit of BG as I hadn't detuned my primary.
I forget what size doubles.

Definitely reserve some scooter battery for the deco as kicking up the slope, they were useful to keep the schedule

I dont recall exactly, but I think we hit the wreck at around 25 mins ? then did one lap.
I think with fast scooters and being efficient you could do it in around 20.
Richard may remember better....

If you start the bottom time "clock" as you pass 70ft (your deco gas) you will get there about 4-5mins later.
Then swim around the wreck for about 15-18mins
Back to the gas switch at "bottom time" minute 23 or 24.
Average depth will be about 142fsw and you can do between 20 and <25mins on the EAN50.

Some hints:
The deco shape will be a bit wonky, that's ok. This is a function of a long flat stretch between about 50 and 30ffw.
70-3mins waiting
60-2mins waiting
50-30 - 6mins mostly on the trigger
22ffw start swimming (you'll stay warmer anyway)
If you swim slow and sporadically pause or clean the line etc you can swim for 7mins and only ascend to about 18ffw.
About 6 more mins of swimming brings you up to 6ffw and you're done.
Total time = about 24mins in this example.

Sorry I don't have a downloadable gauge to show you what we did.

I just cleaned as many weeds as I could off the line. Its rather skanky but once you're below about 20ffw the weeds are slight enough its quite easy to follow. There are just a few patches where its settled into the silt. Easy to pick up with your hand while on the trigger or just stay on the same heading for a few feet and you'll see it again.

I would say its not really a good idea to scooter the PB4Y after May 1 or before Oct 1. The boat ramp is "right there".

Back
Top Bottom